CHAPTER 32: Bonding

(Present Time)

3rd Person POV 
Kiara and Mirabel were in a laughing fit, just after the dance.

"This is one of the best nights I've ever had!" Kiara giggles.

"The feeling's mutual." Mirabel smiles at Kiara fondly, she was clueless to why, but there she was, holding hands with the enemy and grinning like an idiot.

The 2 sat in comfortable silence in an open balcony open for the guests. Kiara looked at the deep and noticeable scar on Mirabel's neck. She looked up at Mirabel with questioning eyes. Mirabel noticed and let out a sigh.

"Assassination attempt." Mirabel mumbled. "Some bitch hated my guts so she ordered some guy to try and kill me in a duel." Kiara gasped. "Does it..." Before she could even say anything, Mirabel interrupted her. "No, it doesn't hurt anymore, it doesn't even matter anymore."

Kiara didn't push the subject and sat there staring at the moon. "You are a mystery, Mirabel." She says while scooting closer to Mirabel.

"And you Kiara, you are a wonder." Mirabel put her arm around Kiara's waist, allowing her to be this close to a stranger she barely even spent 2 days together.

"I want to know more about you.." Kiara ends up saying. Mirabel let's out a deep breath. "The feeling's mutual."

The 2 looked at each other then starting giggling to themselves. Was it a good sign? Yes it was.

"Wanna play 20 questions?" Kiara asks once she was done giggling. "What's that?" Mirabel asks curiously. "Well it's exactly what it sounds like, we both ask 20 questions, and we answer them."

"Ohhh okay. I'll go first... Hmmm, what's your profession?" Mirabel tilts her head. "I work part time here as a cashier here, it pays well since it's fancy, but if you're talking about my profession in my organization, I'm an interrogation expert, that's all I can disclose." Kiara giggles. "My turn, hmmmmm, why won't you tell me your last name?"

"Oh, I don't like it that much, many people address me as Mirabel M." Mirabel shrugs.

"Oh okie." Kiara brushed it off, the question was out of curiosity anyhow.

"My turn.. What's the most embarrassing thing that happened so far?"

Kiara snorted at a memory. "Well, I bumped into a person once, it didn't happen not too long ago, I meant to say 'I'm sorry' and 'are you okay?' But guess what I ended up saying?"

"What?"

"I ended up shouting 'ARE YOU SORRY?' at his face. I was so embarrassed I apologized and just left."

Mirabel couldn't hold back her laughter and laughed. This was the first time Kiara heard her genuinely laugh, it was contagious, she laughed too.

The night went on as the 2 were getting closer. Kiara was looking at Mirabel lovingly as she was babbling why her favorite color was teal. But then she realized what she was just doing. 'Oh no..'

"I still have to meet someone right now.." Kiara says nervously.

"Oh.." Mirabel nearly sounded disappointed and somehow jealous, but she obviously had no right to. She was just a friend after all..

Just a friend.
------

Kiara was running faster than a rabbit, back towards the party. Once she was there, she sat down on a chair by the food table and sighed deeply.

To her, it felt wrong and right at the same time. She can't fall for Mirabel. No. She's allies with the enemy, especially with the circumstances with her mother.