CHAPTER 14: Gone

3rd Person POV
Mirabel opened her eyes, and she was met with something she wished was just a dream:

Casita, unresponsive, crumbled and broken into pieces.

She looked around and lowered her head and clenched her teeth, it was always like this, no matter how hard nor the harder she tries, her efforts only makes it worser than before.

"Mirabel!" Her mother quickly rushed to her daughter's aid once she noticed her. Julieta checked her daughter's face for any injuries.

"Are you hurt?" Mirabel shook her head no. The Madrigals looked around, their home, in which they grew up in for over 5 decades, was no more. It hurt them so much, knowing that it was gone.

"Mirabel, i-" Abuella started to talk. But once she turned her head, Mirabel wasn't there.

She was anywhere near them to be honest, she had disappeared.
-------

Minutes turned into hours, and the hours turned into days, but there was still no sign of their little sunshine. They looked up and down, left and right, no rock was left unturned. Not even her horse, Spirit, was there. The village were searching for her far and wide, but nothing.

The Guzmans were kind enough to let them stay at their place for the meantime and let them grieve for their loss.
-------

Isabela had a heart to heart conversation, despite the things she's feeling, with Abuella about how she felt, they cancelled off the wedding, Dolores admitted she had been in love with Mariano for ages. With Mariano's consent, Abuella arranged them to be together, it'll happen soon, they don't know exactly when, but soon.
--------

The village had never been so gloomy. People tried to smile, but it was obvious they were nervous and even scared.

Luisa wished that she should've done more, no, she knew she could've done more, and yet she failed everyone down, but more importantly she let her little sister down. Her duty was always live up to her family's expectations, but Mirabel never expected anything from her but kindness, understanding, and leadership. She helped Mirabel understand what she was feeling. Luisa wished she had time.

Time to be better. Time to help Mirabel.

Gathering all the courage she could muster, she spoke up during dinner. If time isn't available, chances were given in place of it.

"We can't just go on like this." Luisa threw her utensils on the table to gather the other's attention..

"Luisa what are you talking about?" Julieta asks, she was the most broken out of them all, after all her daughter, missing and nowhere to be found. It was only a few days, yet Julieta had bags under her eyes from crying.

"Mirabel, won't let us go on like this." She added. "Well she's not here.." Isabella sadly states.

"So? Mirabel was the one who kept us all going, with all the little things she does, making breakfast for us, doing silly things to make us laugh, checking in on us, haven't you noticed?"

They realized what Luisa meant.

"And yes she may not have a gift, but no matter what she's still part of the family, she is Mirabel Madrigal, my younger sister. And as far as I know, she would never let us drown ourselves in pity, she had always felt out of place, left out, stared down, she never even felt she was a Madrigal."

Abuella looked down, deep down she knew it was all on her.

"But, she was able to put on a smile on her face and sing our praises, she watched us from the sidelines as we shined, and now it's time for us to live through her. If Mirabel was here, she would have encouraged us to rebuild our home." Luisa let herself cry a little, in truth, she may have not been that close with Mirabel, but when they hung out, it was always a moment worth cherishing for.

"Who's with me..?"