CHAPTER 23: Camilo's Memory

3rd Person POV
With the Madrigal Family, the only lead they have to finally find Mirabel has nothing to be in use of. But it only gave them memories, fragile memories to which they had created with her. Memories with Mirabel.

---------
Camilo walked around the village and he stumbled across a river. Memories flooded back to him. He and his little cousin.

~Flashback~
Mirabel and Camilo were 12. They were swimming in the river to cool down, it was very hot in the summer.

Mirabel was humming a tune as she was sitting on the edge and splashing water with her feet as Camilo was diving looking for shiny rocks.

He went back to the surface and put the rocks on the grass. "Woah, these are shiny!" Mirabel giggles.

"Hey Mira, can I talk to you about something?" Camilo says nervously. "Sure, what's up?" Mirabel asks. "What do I look like??" He blurts out.

Mirabel looks at him confused. "What do you mean?"

"When I shapeshift, I have to think about the person. And what they look like. But it takes me awhile to shapeshift back." Camilo looks at his reflection in the water. He chuckled.

"Why do I keep forgetting. The only thing they need me for is when I need to be someone else. They don't need Camilo Madrigal, they need someone else"

"Alright, get up."

"Wha-?"

"Get up, come on, forget everything and dance!" Mirabel got up and music started to play.

{Could Have Been Me- Halsey Cover}

"Don't wanna live as an untold story! Rather go out in a blaze of glory!"

"But Abuella-" Camilo was immediately interrupted.

"Well, I can't here her! I don't fear her!" Mirabel yells. And the scene changes to Abuella giving orders in as they were in the dining room all of the sudden.

"I'll live now 'cause the bad die last." Mirabel rolled her eyes as she leaned back on her chair.

"Dodging bullets with her broken past." Camilo furrowed his brows but didn't have time to react when Mirabel stood on the table and took the hands of a very confused Camilo.

"Well, can you hear her? Do you fear her now?" She asks.

"Wrapped in her regret, isn't it a waste of blood and sweat. Oh oh oh." She smiles.

"I wanna taste love and pain. Wanna feel pride and shame! Don't wanna waste my time! Don't wanna waste on line!" Mirabel hyped up and Camilo finally joined in.

"I wanna live better days, don't wanna look back and say!" He sang.

"It could have been me!" Camilo laughs.

"It could have been me! Yeah!" Mirabel pushed Camilo into the water, but Camilo only laughed.

"Don't wanna wake on a Monday morning. Waking up with my skin crawling!" Mirabel helped Camilo out of the water. And as time froze Abuella was standing with the candle in her hands.

"We don't fear you!" They both walked up to her. "We can't hear you noww!"

"Wrapped in your regret what a waste of blood sweat! Oh oh oh!" Mirabel and Camilo was now running around the city as time was frozen still. Camilo climbed on top of the church as Mirabel followed.

"I wanna taste love and pain! I wanna taste pride and shame!" Camilo sang his heart out.

"I don't wanna waste my time, don't wanna waste one line!"

"I wanna live better days, don't wanna look back and say, it could have been me!"

"It could have been me!"

"It could have been me!!" Camilo hit that last note perfectly as he dropped down his hands that were raised above.

The scene changed back into them in the river. Camilo was breathing hard, catching his breath, as Mirabel smiled at her cousin. "Cmon, let's go and have supper." Mirabel smiles. "Sure" Camilo smiled back and followed Mirabel.
-------

That memory was bittersweet to Camilo, he sat down on a near by rock and haven't left until it was sunset.

Camilo missed her favorite prima. She was the one who taught him that his gift is his, his gift doesn't define who he was, that he can make his own decisions.

But of course, Abuella had to be in the way. The more they grew, the more chores and responsibilities he was given, him and Mirabel never hang out more than 10 minutes because he was needed somewhere. His purpose was to entertain.

He returned home with a frown and a sigh, he didn't show up for dinner, he just let himself sulk in his room until he fell asleep....