81

I was actually surprised how easy it was to convince Zena to join me. It was a hard conversation to have in the morning. First thing in the morning and Zena was experiencing a panic attack coupled with a bruised heart. Hailey had to literally carry my daughter to her room. Mila had rushed out of the dining room to compose herself, so I followed suit.

"Lara." She faced me. "I know Hailey is going, but you have to be there as well."

"I'll be in Croatia to investigate-"

"No, like actually check in on her as well. She's so broken. She's cracked and frail and needs you." She held my hand. "I need you to stay with her."

"I will." I promise. "I'll miss you though."

"Phone calls." Mila sadly smiled. "And then travel back to hold me at night."

"Everyday I will." I kissed her. "I think they're ready." I heard Hailey give me the all clear. "I'll update you on her."

"Thank you." Her voice cracked. "I hope this'll be good for her."

"I hope so as well." I tightly embraced her. "I love you."

"I love you too." Mila squeezed her eyes shut.

I gave Mila a long kiss before pulling away. I entered the vehicle and had the driver take us to the airport. Under normal circumstances, I'd have portaled us to Croatia, but I didn't know how my aunts would receive me. Thus, I was prolonging the inevitable. Zena had fallen asleep on Hailey's shoulder, so the woman turned to freely speak with me.

"You're practically shitting your pants."

"They're gonna be angry when they see me." I stated.

"They will be surprised. That's for sure. It's been centuries."

"Ya... didn't leave on the best note." I humorlessly laughed. "I'm not gonna be welcomed with open arms."

"They won't turn you away."

"That's why I brought you, so you can convince them." I stared out the window. "Francesca won't deny you."

"No, Francesca won't deny you." I faced her and scoffed. "I'm serious."

"Because she's terrified of me." I smirked.

"No, because you're family and this little girl on my shoulder..." My eyes softened as I stared at my daughter. I couldn't help but smile since I love her so much. "She's also their family and they won't turn away their family."

"You know for certain?" I looked at my hands. "They abandoned my mother in her time of need."

"That was different and you know it." Hailey sighed.

"That's what the last argument was about. I found out they knew she was being abused, yet did nothing." I shook my head. "I couldn't deal with the anger of no one helping my mother."

"I'm gonna ask you something and promise you won't get mad."

"Depends what you're going to annoy me with." I chuckled.

"It's important we find the border to the vampire realm. And we have no way of reaching the realm, so would you enter the Dark Room to-"

"Hailey, let me be clear. There is nothing in the world that would make me ever enter that room again. The world can go to shit and I will still refuse to enter that room." I sternly spoke. "Do I make myself clear?"

"Lar-"

We stopped when Zena stirred awake. I cracked a smile at her fascination with the beautiful ocean. She practically climbed on top of Hailey, so she could properly look out the window. Hailey moved, so Zena could have the window seat. I observed the pair since Hailey rested her chin on Zena's shoulder and leaned her head against my daughter's. I also noticed Hailey embracing my daughter from behind. Zena reflexively lifted a hand to cup Hailey's face as she continued to stare outside. Yep, this affection between the two of them is a big NO NO!.