21

Reluctantly, we had to inform Mila's guards. We needed as many people if we were going to keep Mila safe. Taemin relayed the plan to the wolves. They growled at Tae's audacity to say such an idea. I had to clench my jaw in an effort to not make a snide comment. Eventually, they agreed it was the best plan.

The wolves would travel to Italy to inform Dante of his niece's survival. It would take a lot of convincing on their part to get Dante to believe them. For years, false stories had been relayed to him about his niece. It was only normal for him to be hesitant to accept any information.

We were on the jet to France. I was antsy the entire flight. My mind was buzzing with worse case scenarios. I was really nervous to take her into the lion's den. I couldn't even engage with anyone due to my nerves.

"Hey." I heard Lexi speak to Mila. "I'll be your personal guard. You'll be safe with me around. I promise I'll guard you with my life." I smiled when I saw Lexi kiss Mila's hand.

"She's right." I turned to Mila. "She'll keep you safe when I'm not around." I smiled. "I'm serious. She's our top fighter." She was surprised at that information.

"That jittery, easily frazzled girl is your most skilled fighter?" I nearly chuckled at her response.

"Don't let her friendly nature fool you. She's a beast in battle. That's why she's my personal guard. Well, she's your now." I then shifted my gaze to Tae. "He's the best assassin, so he's Alec's bodyguard."

"And is Hailey some badass fighter so she's your mother's personal guard?" I laughed at that.

"No, she's my mother's advisor and right hand-"

"And their guardian when Lena's away. So I'm their real babysitter." Hailey piped from the front of the plane. I rolled my eyes at her.

"That's not what I'd refer to her role as." Alec grumbled.

"I make sure they stay in line, do their homework-"

"Well, clearly you're not that good since Lara barely went to work." We all laughed at Mila's joke.

"I do try." Hailey sulked, causing us to laugh even louder.

X

We eventually landed and went to our respective cars. Taemin and Mila would be traveling together to make it look like she was a prisoner. It pained me knowing that others would look down at her. They'd view her as my slave. My hands formed into fists at the thought of the disrespect she would be forced to endure.

We entered our car where Alec and Lexi sat on either side of me. Hailey was driving and my mother was in the passenger seat. The tension was thick in the air.

"What's the game plan?" Lexi broke the tension.

"Besides hoping that father doesn't return early?" Lexi nodded at Alec's question. "Keep her far away from the leaders and not be suspicious." He sighed. "I admit that I'm a little nervous."

"You're not the only one." I breathed out. "I just don't see this ending well." I admitted.

"There's only so much we can do to protect your mate." My mother turned around. "I know you're scared, but I promise that we'll do everything in our power to protect her." She gave me a soft smile.

"Just need to make sure she doesn't flash her wolf eyes to anyone." Alec mumbled. "One look and her cover is blown."

"She shouldn't have a reason since she'll be out of harm's way." I stated.

"Hailey will be overseeing her needs, Lexi will be by her side, and Tae will occasionally check on her." My mother reassured me. "We'll make sure that we keep the other vampires away from her."

"She'll just have to deal with the guards." Hailey grumbled.

"They won't touch her." Alec turned to me. "They'll know better than to touch what they believe to be yours." He stated

"And if they do..." Lexi ran a finger along her throat. "I'll rip their spines out." She began laughing like a mental person. We all exchanged worried looks over Lexi's mental health.

"Just invite me to watch." I smirked.

"How about we take her into the town one day? That way she can get a glimpse of the life we wish for our kind to lead. One of harmony and peace across all species." I smiled at Alec's suggestion.