35| Needs & Wants

"Alright, Ready Ten." Dad says getting back into the car. I snap my head forward and pretend I didn't see anything. But I did.

"Oh. That's what I meant... to tell you about." He says warily, looking in the backseat from where my gaze left.

"This was a mistake-" I reach for the door handle when he grabs my hand and pleads.

"Please listen to what I have to say Kennedy. You can hate me all you want or not, but please don't leave until you know the whole story."

I drop my hand from the door handle and turn all of my focus and body towards him. As tired as I am, the truth is I could stay here all morning and talk with him. The truth is, I could hate him all I want or not, but that isn't what I want. I want an explanation, and a damn good one at that.

"Isla is four, and Ava turned two a few months ago." Dad whispers breaking eye contact with me and looking at the car seats again. My heart sinks to the floor and my body has never felt more numb to his words. But I don't show a reaction, I let him continue talking.

"When you were thirteen, I found out your mother was cheating on me-" His voice breaks and a tear rolls down his cheek as he continues, "I left her immediately and with my connections, our divorce was finalized a few days after." He takes another pause, letting me process all of the information being gave to me.

Isla. Ava. Mom cheated. Divorce? Yes Kenna, divorce. Okay.

I nod my head signaling for him to continue and he does.

"I did move to Chicago to be closer to the main office, but about six months later I met Tess." A wide smile spreads across his face as he says her name and I can't help but smile in return.

Because that same smile is what spreads across my face anytime I talk about Wes.

"Your Mom visits me frequently. She told me that if I don't give her money daily, she would tell you about Tess, the kids, and I." He says looking down in to his lap.

My body sinks into the seat and tears roll down my face. I wipe them off with the sleeve of Wesley's hoodie and I can't help but faintly smile to the smell of him that lingers on my nose.

"I.. I was so ashamed Ten. I knew your Mom would twist the story. I guess I was scared. I wanted you to be happy, but I also didn't want to hurt myself in the process." He confides.

His words hurt me as much as I'm sure they hurt him. Having to keep a whole family from me and bribing my own Mom.. the entire situation is twisted, and honestly? Way too much to process right now. As much as I want to be able to talk to him and sort things out. My body needs rest, along with my mind. Even if I was well rested and ready to talk, I have no clue in the world what I would say.

"Thank you for sharing, but I also need some time to process this." I finally get myself to say but barely bringing my voice above a whisper. Dad turns his head to look at me and smiles.

"I'm done running Ten. Whatever you need, just tell me."

"I think... all I need right now, is to go home and come back again when I'm truly ready."