22| Our Place

The past few days have been nothing but good between Kenna and I. Our communication has improved so much, and I can't help but replay her words in my mind every day.

I'm done telling myself I don't want us.

That's a green light if I've ever heard one.

I've been planning a surprise trip for us on the 4th of July weekend, and keeping that from Kenna has been the hardest thing ever. I hate keeping secrets especially when I tell her pretty much everything- but this one is for a good cause.

Easton's helping me with my shift today so I can leave early, Kenna said she wanted to go to the mall for some more summer clothes. That girl owns more clothes than anyone I've ever seen but then again, I can't say no to her. Its physically impossible.

Ken pretty much lives with me now which I fucking love. I moved all of my clothes to the hall closet so she could take over mine which made her really happy, and I'm happy if she's happy so it's a win win.

"Yo Carter, where the hell do the flip flops go?" Ashford yells from across the shop.

"With the beach accessories next to the shoes dumbass!" I yell back.

Easton walks over to the front counter where I'm at and gives me a playful punch. I give one back but confused when his smile drops and his body turns towards the door.

"Police bro. Do we run?" Easton whispers. I look over his shoulder and see two police cars parked outside the shop. Shit.

"Dude make a call. Do we fucking run or no?" He whispers again. The officers talk amongst themselves behind one of their cars and I make the quickest and probably dumbest decision I've ever made.

"Ashford. Blinds. Keys. Back door." I mumble. Even though I didn't form a full sentence, he knows exactly what I need him to do.

I run to the backroom behind the counter grabbing my keys and send Kenna a quick text just in case.

Kenny <3 : About to run from cops lol. Be home later. Miss you

That should be good.

I throw the shop keys over the counter to Easton, and in one motion he locks the shop, flips the sign to Closed, and pulls the blinds down. He nods and I switch off the lights and clock out.

"It's gonna be real fucking sketchy when your truck is parked right out front." Shit. He's right.

"Go be useful, cause a distraction or some shit." I reply walking us out of the back door.

I hide myself behind the shop's wall as I watch Easton walk up to the officers. Please don't say something stupid. Please don't say something stupid.

"Howdy!" Fucking hell, Ashford.

"Hello young man, we were actually wondering if the shop co-owner is here today. We got a call about an assault, and this vehicle matches the name they provided. His name is Wesley Carter."

"Interesting...Yeah. No. The young chap isn't here today he's in Europe with his pops. I'm borrowing his truck for the summer." Good save Ashford.

The two officers turn to face each other and start talking when Easton points his finger to my truck signaling I'm clear to move up.

"Alright we'll keep a look out. Thank you sir."

"No, thank you Officer.. Clark. Officer Clark. The pleasure is truly mine." Easton says sarcastically.

I'm now behind my truck which is only a few lot spaces over from the officers. I take a few more crouched steps when I hear a voice.

"Wesley Carter what the fuck." Kenna whispers crouched next to me. Fucking hell.