01| kenna calvin

"Yes Mom, I'm well aware I am supposed to be in class right now-" I look over at Elle turning the phone away from my mouth as we giggle. "Just hang up" Elle mouths turning her giggle into a full-blown laugh. I quickly bring the phone back from where it was at arm's length and hit the mute button.

"If you want this whole bonfire on the beach thing to work out tonight, I suggest you shut up." I scold Elle smiling. There's one more week left of junior year and I'm not even sure how I made it this far. Elle, my best friend since ever, and I have been planning a huge beach bonfire to celebrate getting out of this shit hole. Even though school isn't over yet we couldn't wait any longer. Channel Islands is pretty much known for beach bonfires so getting people to come isn't the hard part. The hard part is-

"Kennedy Nicole Calvin, why am I talking to a brick wall?"

Yeah, that would be the hard part in question. My mom is the literal definition of cockblocker, seriously I wouldn't be surprised if a picture of her wasn't what popped up when you look the word up in the dictionary. Since forever she's been the Mom to say, "Kennedy are you sure that's what you're ordering? " or "Kennedy that's not very lady like of you to say." I've honestly just learned to tune her out.

Right before I can press the button to unmute her and make up another excuse about why this bonfire is more important than my AP Literature class right now, I hear foot steps coming from behind me and in one motion my phone is snatched from my hand and I'm left spinning trying to see who took it.

"Mrs. Calvin, I can assure you you're angel child of a daughter is in great hands, perfect hands even. Now I should let you go, I'm sure you have some type of botox or nail appointment to get to, toodles!" Noah struts back to me, handing my phone in my free hand while my other hand is covering my mouth trying to hide the laugh threatening to escape my mouth.

"Now that Ken, is how you handle a phone call with the devil herself." He smiles taking my arm and wrapping it around his shoulder, doing the same to Elle until we are both on either side of him walking away from the school and to my car.

"Well thank you Noah, seriously next time she calls me, I'll hand the phone to you and start taking notes." I giggle looking up into his bright green eyes. He's tall enough and at walking at the perfect angle to where he is blocking the sun. He looks back down at me giving me the worst wink ever witnessed. He takes Elle and I's backpacks and tosses them into the backseat.

Noah, Elle, and I have been inseparable since forever. Noah acting as the older brother Elle and I were never given. In the beginning of our friendship people always spread rumors saying we were in a love triangle, psh yeah right. Noah has liked boys since forever, he just hasn't told anyone yet besides Elle and I. Though I'm sure over the years people have caught on, we respect his privacy.

As I get into the drivers seat I cant help but think about how much trouble I am going to be when I get home. Although this isn't my first time skipping school for an outing, I still never hear the end of it. I hate how strict my Mom is, only because she is strict for all of the wrong reasons.

She doesn't care that I'm skipping school for the bonfire, she cares because the school will call my dad about my absence, my dad will tell her off and then gets pissed at her and cuts her daily allowance in half.

Sometimes I think skipping school is the only way my dad will actually acknowledge my existence, but each time I get proven wrong as my mom is the one he gets mad at- not me.

"Hello! Earth to Ken!" I quickly take my focus off whatever I was staring at through the windshield, and side eye Elle nudging her arm. Quickly grabbing the keys out of the front pocket of my jacket I start the car giving Elle one last glance. She's holding onto her arm, fake crying and soon enough Noah joins in on the joke, fake interviewing her.

"Ms. Hudson how do you feel about your arm getting slashed with a high heel, by D-List celebrity Kennedy Calvin." He asks sarcastically while using his phone as the microphone.

"First of all don't call me Kennedy, second of all buckle up were going to Carter's Shop." I say with the fakest smile known to man.

"Yes Mom. Sorry Mom. Won't happen again Mom." Noah says laughing in the backseat. I quickly adjust my rearview mirror so I can see Noah, and he can see me. Finally calming down from laughing so hard at his own joke he looks into the mirror and I flip him off. Semi meaning it because, 1. I hate when people call me Kennedy and 2. We seriously need to leave campus before we get caught ditching.

Putting the jeep in drive, Elle grabs the charging cord, plugs her phone in and blasts her driving playlist, on cue I roll down all the windows and sunroof. Minutes later, we are on the highway singing our hearts out and laughing at our horrible singing.

"We just have to stop at Carters to grab some drinks and snacks for tonight then we can get the word out and set up!" I say yelling over "Swim" By Chase Atlantic.

"What was that Ken cant hear you!" Noah yells from the back, wind blowing so hard in his face he can barely even see. I giggle knowing he doesn't even care what I said because nobody interrupts Noah Cruz's singing sessions.

Twenty minutes later we are right on the coast of Channel Islands Beach and pulling into the parking lot at Carter's Surf Shop. Which now that I think about it, its more of a Target it kinda has everything, which I don't mind, I love Target. The parking lot is empty besides the black Ford F1-50 in its usual spot in the front row. We all get out of the car, Noah stumbling and giggling after becoming a live action Adele in my backseat.

"Save that energy for the bonfire tonight Cruz." Elle says, meeting us around to the front of the jeep and giving Noah a slap on his back.

"Ow Elle!"

"Oh come on Cruz suck it up" Elle laughs trying to dodge Noahs hand but not being quick enough.

"Ow Noah!" Elle exclaims rubbing her arm where Noah playfully pinched.

"Quiet Elle, what if TJ heard that, don't want him thinking your a baby who cant handle a little fun." Noah says mockingly.

"Keep it down would ya! For the millionth time I don't like Trent, we talked once and I was drunk." Elle says making sure nobody is around to hear us.

"Didn't know you guys were on a first name basis." Noah says giggling. Elle and Noah are constantly bickering like kids but I don't mind it. I like watching them put each other in their place, it's amusing.

We all giggle at their conversation as we walk in  Carter's. The bell dings as we enter, and a guy comes out of the back room and steps up to the counter. His eyes immediately meeting mine.

Woah.