17| What If I Fall?

"Morning love." Wes says smiling when I turn towards him.

"Hi, Wes."

"I'm sorry, I didn't want to bring you in the house and risk waking you up."

I climb into his lap still really sad about earlier. I'm so grateful I placed first in the summit but I care about my dad more. This is the first surf meet he's ever missed and winning just doesn't feel the same. Wes has been a good distraction but I don't want to see him as that.

I only have a few more competitions until my time surfing in Channel is over, and just the thought makes me want to cry.

"What's on your mind Kenny?"

I don't answer and shake my head, the last thing I want to talk about is my problems right now.

"Wanna do something fun?" Wes says when I don't answer. I turn my head towards him and he's wearing that stupid smirk.

"Always." I respond after contemplating for a few seconds.

"Go put on a bathing suit and pack an extra pair of clothes." Wes says opening the door.

"Wesley Carter you just want to see me in a bathing suit."

"Hell yeah I do." He replies playfully planting a kiss on my forehead.

I put on my favorite orange bikini and braid my hair because as much as I love the ocean, I can not be brushing my hair every five minutes. Wes opens the bathroom door and immediately smiles.

"You are so beautiful Kenna." Wes whispers standing in the doorway. I spin from looking at him in the mirror to looking at him face to face. I cock my head and my lips pull into a huge smile.

Wes picks me up and sets me on the counter, I wrap my legs around him, interlocking my hands around his neck. His chest is bare and his bandana is tied around his messy brown hair.

"You are so beautiful, Wes." I say returning the compliment breaking the silence.

"I really want to kiss you right-" I cut him off with a kiss which he reacts to instantly. Unlike other kisses, this one is deep and passionate. Wesley's hand gently tugs at my hair and I pull back giggling.

"Was this what you had in mind when you said you wanted to do something fun?" I say pressing my finger to his lips.

"Nah- but I'm fine with this." He replies smirking. I shake my head laughing and give him one more kiss before hopping off of the counter.

*

"Wes can you pleasseee tell me where we are going?" We have been driving for what feels like forever and Wes refuses to answer any questions of mine.

"I don't need to tell you because we are already here." Before I can look at our surroundings outside my window, Wes is opening my door and helping me out of the truck.

Giving him a confused look, I pull out my phone opening Maps. I zoom in to where we are and my jaw physically drops to the ground. Aztec Falls Cliff Jumping.

My head snaps towards Wes who is already taking off his high top converse. Scared shitless I get head back inside the truck locking the doors.

"Kenna come on it will be fun." Wes says tapping on the window.

"I did not agree to this Wesley Carter!"

"Yes you did Kennedy Calvin." Prick. I unlock the door and Wes lays his head in my lap looking up at me, his legs propped up on the side steps. I can't help but smile he looks so- no. Don't fold Kenna. You're mad at him right now.

"You said when we were leaving the hospital you wanted to." Wes states again.

"It was a joke!" I exclaim, aggressively moving my hand through his hair attempting to make it look messy but it just makes him look ten times hotter. Damnit.

"I won't let you anything happen to you Ken. Do you trust me?"

"Yes." I reply without hesitation. Wes nods getting up from my lap and takes my hand.

I let Wes lead, and I can't help but admire him. Words and actions will never describe the undeserved love Wes gives me. And words and actions will never describe the love I'm willing to give Wes.

The sun hangs low in the sky and the weather is the perfect temperature. To say summer has cured me is an understatement and we are only a few weeks into June.

Wes knows a lot of things about me, even things I've never said or mentioned. One thing he doesn't know, is that I'm really fucking terrified of heights, and I'd like to think I'm playing it off well.

"Kenna why are you standing seven feet away from the ledge?" Shit. Maybe not that well.

"I'm right here Ken, come here." Wes holds out his hand and I slowly walk towards him not breaking eye contact. I immediately stop when I can finally see how high up we are. Oh hell no.

I shake my head and start my walk back towards the truck. Wes follows after me grabbing my hand stopping me from opening the truck door.

"Kennedy."

"Wesley."

"I'm right here, nothing bad is going to happen to you."

"You don't know that."

"I would take every single ounce of pain in the world if that meant you wouldn't get hurt Kenny." Wes interlocks my hand with his but doesn't walk back towards the ledge yet. Baby steps.

"I wouldn't of agreed to this if you would have told me this was your plan." I say easing up. Wes laughs and nods his head giving me a 'why do you think I didn't tell you' look.

We are only a few steps away from the ledge which I didn't realize until I broke eye contact with him. I pry my hand out of Wesley's but he holds mine tighter, not letting me go.

He takes another step and so do I. Another one. Slowly enough, we are now both at the ledge of a cliff, at least 25 feet above the water. 25 reasons to be fucking terrified.

"I don't know Wes-"

"I've got you Kennedy." Wes cuts me off giving me a reassuring nod. I let my body relax and calm my breathing down.

I look down one more time and back over at Wes.

"What if I fall?"