Chapter 45

Slowly, Meya opened her eyes and, disorientated, took in the gloom around her. Am I alive? Or is this death? She shifted slightly. The ground's hard... and it's cold. I can feel the cold... That's good, right? She wiggled her toes, still inside her clogs, and brought her arm up to her face. I can feel my—

"You're awake!" Nina appeared from the darkness beside her and hugged her close. "Thank the gods, it worked." Her voice trembled with restrained sobs.

"Wha—" The words got stuck in her parched throat. She licked her lips, swallowed, and tried again. "What happened?"

Nina sniffled and refused to let go. "His blood worked. I saw the bleeding stop and how the wound began to close. Your heart, though... I kept checking it, but at one point I couldn't hear it and—" Her voice broke and she trembled, hugging her even tighter. "I thought you died, but Lord Deminas said you didn't, that your heart was just... soft? Just like your breathing, it was so faint."

Confused, Meya drew a deep breath. It felt good. The air was dry but not dusty. She frowned. We're no longer in the castle. We're outside... Her eyes could make out her surroundings better now. Rocks...? "Nina... where are we?"

"We're in a cave, up in the mountain. Lord Deminas brought us here." She stroked Meya's hair, nuzzling her face into it. "Turns out he left you to assess the situation. Planned to get you when he knew what to do—where to go. Even claimed he wanted to get me. I don't care if that's true or not. It doesn't matter." She planted a kiss on Meya's cheek. "You're alive—we both are." She trembled and held Meya tightly, no longer able to keep the sobs inside.

"Nina..." Meya turned and wrapped her arms around her lover.

"Where were you?" Nina asked, her voice barely audible. "I awoke to the bells and—" She clutched Meya's robe, unable to say more.

Meya's heart constricted, guilt washing over her. "I-I woke up with a bad feeling. I didn't know—not really. I kissed you, but you were fast asleep and I... I just couldn't wake you in case it was nothing." Now it was her turn to fight the tears. "I'm sorry. I locked the door and..." She bit her lip, eyes shut tight. "I fucked up. I'm sorry." Tears rolled down her cheeks. "I'm so, so sorry."

They held one another and cried.

I wish I'd taken you along. Gods, how I wish I'd taken you along. She breathed in Nina's scent: salty, from sweat and tears. She also smelled blood. She stiffened. How am I able to smell that?

Nina released her and sat down, averting her eyes. "I-I'm sorry. I shouldn't have..." She shook her head, sniffling. "I'm glad you came back for me. That's all that matters." Her voice broke. "Thank you for coming back f—"

Meya grabbed her by the shoulders and pulled her close once more. "Don't you dare," she hissed. "You're allowed to be angry—I did fuck up. And I'm sorry. I don't want you to just..." She forgot what she wanted to say. Confused, she continued to hold Nina, who was crying softly again. Gods, she smells so good.

With a shuddering breath, Nina gently pushed Meya away and wrapped her arms around herself. "I... I don't want to talk about it anymore, alright?" She scooted back a bit, creating distance between them. "I wonder where Lord Deminas is." She dried her eyes with her skirt. "I hate waiting here in the dark."

The corner of Meya's mouth twitched. Dark... She looked around. She could clearly make out the ceiling and the walls of the cave. Something's wrong. She turned her attention to herself, to her side. It no longer hurt as much, though she still felt a little weak. She inspected her torn robe. To her surprise, strips of linen were wrapped around her waist. She frowned at the lack of blood, though her dress was caked with it.