Chapter 27

"Wakey, wakey," Nina said as she walked into the room, a bowl in hand. She shut the door and went over to Meya with a smile. "I brought you some supper."

Groggy, Meya opened her eyes and stretched. "I didn't even realise it was suppertime yet."

"You slept through the bells again?"

Meya nodded and sat up. "I suppose I did."

A worried expression replaced Nina's smile. "This morning, too... You're sleeping quite deeply."

"I feel better, though." Meya took the bowl of soup from Nina.

"That I can believe. You're no longer so short of breath, and the rattle's gone, too." Nina's smile returned. "I suppose the lord's magic worked."

Meya cringed. "Please, don't call it magic. I don't want to get into trouble."

Nina sat down on the bed. "Don't worry about it. It's not like I would ever discuss this in the presence of others."

Meya sighed and sipped the soup.

"Anyway... I told Lea and Gail we'd be sleeping elsewhere for a while. They asked why and where, of course, but I just said that you needed some privacy and I'd care for you. Gail wanted to know more, but I managed to shut her up."

"You didn't mention what happened?"

Nina shook her head. "Though I really do think you should tell Juris. She tried to kill you!"

"I know, I know." Meya groaned and rested the bowl in her lap. "I just don't want her to be tortured or worse... How did she react when you told her about me sleeping elsewhere?"

"Brit and Winnie weren't there, so they don't know yet."

"I wonder if Winnie told her sister..."

Nina huffed. "I doubt it. Brit always gets upset when Winnie does anything against the rules. She'd flip if she found out."

"Surely just because she fears the punishment Winnie would have to suffer. She didn't seem to care much for me yesterday when she left the room."

Nina shrugged. "I'm certain she cares more about her sister than she does about anyone else in this castle—even Lea. Still, I doubt she would condone an attempt on your life."

Meya remained quiet for a bit, contemplating Nina's words. "Oh, what does it matter." She brought the bowl back to her lips and drank.

"It matters to me." She stroked Meya's hair. "You're precious to me and she tried to kill you. I would've told Juris myself if you hadn't expressed your desire for secrecy. Hell, I would've told the entire castle—even if it resulted in my own lips being stitched! As long as Winnie got punished, it would've been worth it."

Meya lowered the bowl and sighed. "I know you care for me—and I truly appreciate that—but I've seen enough pain and suffering. I don't want to see more, let alone cause more myself. Yes, Winnie was wrong, and I am angry with her, but..." She hesitated. "I've seen the lord's vengeance. Winnie doesn't deserve that. I mean, she tried and she failed. She didn't cause me any lingering pain. It just feels wrong to have her suffer his wrath."

Nina scoffed. "No lingering pain, huh? Please, tell me why we're here, then."

Blood rushed to Meya's cheeks. "When I'm better, I'll go back to our chamber. It's just that I don't want to be an easy target."

"Saying that means you're afraid of her trying again."

Meya wanted to object, but she didn't know what to say. Yielding, she instead took another gulp from the soup.