Chapter 22

Winter, 1240

Winter, 1240

The wheel of time keeps on turning.
Escape winter's deadly grasp
to awaken in spring's warm embrace.

~~

Meya sat down on the bed in the lord's old chamber as Nina stacked some logs in the fireplace. "When did you get wood in here?"

"The soldiers have been so busy lately, they're barely around in their quarters. I've been sneaking some logs in here for the past few days." Nina used the flame of the oil lamp they had brought with them to kindle the fire. "You've been complaining about the cold for weeks now, so I figured I should fix it."

"Aren't you afraid the soldiers will notice?"

"Don't worry. Like I said, I took only a few logs each day, so they won't notice."

"No, I mean..." She nudged towards the door. "Don't you think they'll see the glow of the fire?"

Nina stood up, grabbed a slightly dusty towel from a shelf, and placed it on the floor against the door. "There, all covered." She smiled triumphantly. "Now stop worrying and enjoy the warmth."

Meya coughed a few times as she got off the bed and sat down on an old hide in front of the growing fire. "You always take such good care of me, thanks for that."

Nina settled beside her and wrapped an arm around Meya's shoulders, pulling her close and planting a kiss on her temple. "Who else is going to do that, hmm? Lord Deminas?"

A giggle escaped Meya's lips before her hand pressed tightly against it. "Oh, shush you!" She playfully shoved Nina. "Seriously, that man's intentions are beyond me."

Nina gently took Meya's left hand by the wrist. "Did he cut you again yesterday?"

Meya didn't need to answer, as the healing cut was clearly visible in the light of the flames. "It's disturbing how he does this every other week." She shook her head. "Still, I'd rather have him cutting my hand than my breasts." A shiver ran up her spine as she recalled the torture.

"Just look at it from the bright side: you get a very good meal out of it."

Meya smiled. "You've got a point there. Yesterday it was a lovely stewed rabbit." She licked her lips at the memory. "To be honest, I can handle a bit of pain just fine. I mean, he cuts me with this really sharp blade, drains some blood, then does his little magic to close the wound. The pain stops straight away."

Nina huffed. "I'd let him cut my hand and drain some blood for such a meal. Especially when the wound heals like that and the pain's fleeting."

"You're such a scrounger!" Meya exclaimed with mock-seriousness, barely able to keep a straight face.