Chapter 11

Meya followed Lord Deminas back to his chambers in a trance-like state. She was barely aware of the lord approaching a servant on their way back and giving him several instructions. The young man bowed and hurried away.

As Lord Deminas started to walk again, Meya followed automatically, head low. Her mind was filled with questions regarding the lord's intentions and how she should feel about what had transpired. They passed multiple servants and they all looked fearful, some turning away while others stood frozen. She wondered why but discarded the question after spotting the bloodstains on her white apron.

But it's not my blood, she comforted herself.

Meya nearly collided with the lord's back when he stopped in front of the door leading to his chambers. She moved to follow him inside and, to her surprise, he held the door for her.

A chill shook her. Why...?

Confused, she turned to face Lord Deminas. He observed her, his right arm across his stomach whilst his elbow rested on his wrist as he stroked his goatee.

For some reason, this made blood rush to Meya's face. "M-my lord..." She wanted to ask, what now? but was afraid that would sound inappropriate.

To her relief, Lord Deminas answered the unspoken question. "You're covered in blood; go to the bathroom and clean yourself. Get rid of those filthy clothes, too." With that said, he walked over to his desk and sat down, seemingly no longer interested in her.

Baffled, Meya needed a moment to collect herself. That's it then? Attempt at repairing the goods completed, now bugger off? The corner of her mouth twitched, but she obeyed and moved to the hallway.

"Where are you going?" the lord's voice bellowed through the room.

Meya cringed. "I... I was going to the servants' ba—"

"You're not going anywhere looking like that. Use my bathroom."

Meya curtsied, uttered a thanks, and hurried away in confusion. But half the castle already saw me on the way back up from the dungeons...

~~

After cleaning her face and neck, Meya looked herself over. She was only wearing her undergarments—stockings, underwear and chemise. There's no blood on them, would it be alright if I kept them on?

She chewed her lip. Considering the lord had made her strip two times in front of him already, she was almost certain that he would prefer seeing her naked. Still, she didn't dare walk back into the sitting room naked without being specifically ordered to do so.

I don't want him to get the wrong idea about me. She huffed. I've still got some dignity left.

She turned around, took a deep breath, and walked back. Before she even knocked on the bedroom door, her heart had almost doubled its pace. When she got an answer to her knocking, panic flooded her system. Why's he in there?

She opened the door and entered cautiously. The room was lit only with candlelight, and Meya was unsure if this made it look cosy or ominous. The lord was but a mere shade sitting on the edge of the bed.

"My lord..."

"Why are you still dressed?" His voice was low and dark.

Meya hesitated a moment before answering, "I... I... There was no blood on them, my lord. I-I thought—"

"Remove them."

As expected, but gods, why? Meya opened her mouth to answer, but no sound passed. She swallowed and finally uttered, "As you wish, my lord." Fear almost paralysed her, but she managed to remove her undergarments. The moment the last piece fell to the floor, the lord spoke again.