Chapter 32

"So... Want to tell me what happened now?" Meya eyed Nina, who nervously fidgeted with her apron. They both stood in the lord's chambers, awaiting his return.

"I guess this would be the best time, considering I doubt we'll be getting any privacy for a while." She sighed and pulled her hair back, revealing several dark marks on her neck.

"What the..." Frowning, Meya ran a finger over the bruised skin. "Does it hurt?"

"No, not really." Nina shrugged. "How bad is it?"

"Just big bruises, really. Did he try to strangle you?"

Nina flushed red. "Sort of... but not quite."

Meya tilted her head. "What do you mean?"

"Well... I don't think I need to tell you we fornicated."

Now it was Meya's turn to blush. "I guessed as much."

"With how he was looking at us, I figured it would work to our benefit." She lowered her voice. "I hoped it might reduce whatever punishment we're getting."

Meya took a deep breath. "Well, you weren't alone in thinking that."

Nina's eyes widened. "No!" She gave Meya a playful shove. "Don't tell me you finally yielded and bedded Lord Deminas last night?"

Meya avoided Nina's gaze, her cheeks burning. "And this morning..."

Nina covered her mouth to stifle her laughter. "Well, damn." She embraced Meya tightly. "I'm so proud of you." Expression more serious, she pulled out of the hug but kept her hands on Meya's shoulders. "Did you enjoy it?"

With a simper, she nodded.

Nina squealed and kissed her. "I'm so happy for you." She smiled roguishly. "Did he allow you to spend the night, or did he kick you out the door as unceremoniously as with me?"

Flustered, Meya said, "The former."

Nina's grin broadened but faded upon seeing Meya's stern look. "What?"

"You still haven't told me what happened to you."

Nina's playfulness immediately waned. Eyes cast down, she fidgeted with her apron. "Last night, whilst he was on top..." She sighed deeply. "It was all good, but then he wrapped his fingers around my neck..."

Meya took Nina's hands in her own and rubbed them reassuringly. "If he hurt you, I'm telling the lord. He said—"

"No—it's alright. I mean, yeah, I panicked when he started to squeeze, but as soon as I tried to hit him, he grabbed my wrists. He said he wasn't going to kill me because Lord Deminas had told him not to."

Meya frowned. "But then what...?"

"He... told me to surrender and not fight him. To trust him. I won't lie: it was the scariest thing I ever did—especially after having passed out giving them blood!"

"But you... played along and let him?"

Nina nodded. "I did. And every time my vision started to dim, he'd release me again. He made it some sort of twisted game." She swallowed, cheeks flushing. "I'm ashamed to admit it, but... when I realised he wasn't actually going to kill me, I..." She bit her lip.

"You what?"

"I liked it."

Flabbergasted, Meya's jaw dropped and she stared at her. "Seriously?"

"Seriously." Nina smiled sheepishly as she ran her fingers through her hair. "It really made for amazing sex."

With a laugh, Meya gave Nina a playful shove. "Well, glad to hear you enjoyed yourself."