Chapter 13

As she dried her hair, the supper bell chimed in the distance. He sure has a sense of timing, she thought grimly. Having nothing to wear, she wrapped the towel around her torso. She walked up to the bedroom door but stopped there. What now? She chewed her lip as she imagined the lord ravishing her as soon as she stepped over the threshold.

She mentally shook her head. It troubled her that the thought was both arousing and frightening. She took a few deep breaths, lightly slapped her cheeks, and straightened her back.

Stop worrying over things that are beyond your control, she lectured herself. Nina is right, he is right: you're a slave now. A chill went up her spine. If he wishes to have sex with you, you don't really have much of a choice. What had remained of her previous arousal faded away and the lord's words echoed in her mind.

"I can and will do with you whatever I please."

She wrapped her arms around herself. Still, he went and captured the slaver. Tortured and killed him even. He seems rather against rape. She thought back to what he'd said about the slaver's actions, and his reply when she'd told him of her fear of him assaulting her. No... I shouldn't be afraid of him doing that. She swallowed as her mind returned to what had just transpired in the bath. He did say I could tell him to stop. Not to mention how he kept asking me if I wanted it... I think he takes way too much pleasure in making me want him—making me beg for him. She huffed. And to think I actually gave in, too!

She took another deep breath and checked if the towel was covering her properly.

Alright... She straightened. Let's go.

She knocked on the bedroom door. After two times, there was still no answer, so she went inside. The door leading to the sitting room was slightly ajar, the flickering of the hearth visible on the stone floor. Meya hesitated to walk straight in, so she held the handle as she knocked on the wood.

"You may come in, Meya," Lord Deminas said.

She pushed the door open, blushing as she noticed him staring at her from his seat. It was bad enough they were both only clad in a towel—and it didn't help that his muscular torso was uncovered—but what had just happened further increased her unease. Damn it, Meya, she chided herself as her prior arousal sparked again.

"What took you so long?" he asked.

Did I really take that long? Meya searched for words. "I... I..." I was lost in thought thinking about all that had transpired. No, I can't actually tell him that. She lowered her eyes. "You told me to wash, my lord... So, I did."

Lord Deminas stood up and walked over to her. He cupped her chin, making her look up at him. "I didn't realise you were so dirty that washing yourself would take that long."

Blood rushed to Meya's cheeks, shame setting her face on fire. "I-I," she stammered, but she gave up on saying anything as the lord started to chuckle. Oh, you ass! You're doing this on purpose.

He released her and walked back to his seat. There were several covered dishes on the desk, along with cups and a jug. "Come here." He gestured for Meya and she approached. He poured them both drinks, the burgundy liquid clearly wine.

Two cups? Meya wondered. He wants me to dine with him?

"I have arranged enough food for two," Lord Deminas stated. He picked up one of the cups, swirling the contents gently. "And good wine." He stared at Meya as he sipped. "However..." There was an ominous shimmer in his eyes. "I know of a way to make this wine even better."