Chapter 43

Summer, 1240

Summer, 1240

Time knows no mercy and the wheel stops for no one.
Life and death, entwined in an eternal dance.
Break the cycle and transcend.

~~

"...and the princess followed the faun into the forest. They arrived at a large castle, and she was once more reunited with her loving parents." Gail smiled. "The end."

The large group of servants seated around her in the courtyard clapped.

"That was a lovely tale," Nina said as she rose.

"I agree." Ghulam, a teenaged lad with short, black curls, looked at the darkening sky. "But I think we need to hurry back inside."

Juris nodded. "Yes. It's late enough." He urged everyone to get up.

Meya shot a glance over at Nina and sighed. "But it's so lovely out." She gave Juris a pleading look. "Give us a little bit. We'll be right behind you."

He hesitated. "Just... don't take too long, alright? It's late."

The group headed back into the castle and Nina cuddled up to Meya. The warm summer wind caressed their skin as they watched the last colours from the sunset fade away.

"I love story time outside," Meya said softly as she closed her eyes.

"I love just sitting with you outside," Nina purred. She nuzzled Meya's neck, lining it with kisses.

Meya giggled and was about to kiss her back when she spotted a guard in her periphery. She quickly straightened herself, face reddening.

Nina turned and froze the moment she saw the man. He gave a slight nod towards the castle, indicating they needed to head inside. Embarrassed, they quickly got up and left without saying a word.

~~

Meya's eyes shot open. The room was dark—there was no fire in the hearth on account of it being summer, and the sun was still hiding somewhere below the horizon. Her heart hammered in her chest and a cold sweat coated her skin. She sat up straight and looked around.

Nina lay beside her, fast asleep.

Something's wrong.

She placed her hand on her lover's shoulder, relief washing over her when she felt it was warm—alive.

However, the sinking feeling in her gut didn't wane. She carefully climbed out of bed so as to not wake Nina. The cold stones underneath her feet comforted her, assuring her that she was awake. She walked over to the window and stared outside. The sky was clear and littered with stars.

She took a few deep breaths and closed her eyes. You probably just had a nightmare you don't remember.

A cold chill went up her spine and she tensed.