Chapter 36

Disgruntled, Meya made her way to the lord's chambers for the night. Lunch had already been bad, but supper had been even worse. Everyone knows what happened. She groaned as she still felt their curious gazes on her back.

With gossiping being disapproved of, only a few people had dared ask if it was true—to which she didn't even get a chance to reply due to Nina telling them off. The only person Nina hadn't scared away was Abi.

Meya closed her eyes for a moment as her heart ached for her. Unlike the others, she just wanted to check if we knew anything about Novak... But all they could do was repeat Juris' words and tell her that the dungeons were empty. To top it all off, Lord Deminas and his men were celebrating something down in the main room. Brit's hollow gaze flashed through her mind and a shiver ran up her spine. I hope she doesn't think it has anything to do with her sister. Still, anything festive on this day would probably make her feel worse. She thinks—no, we all think—Winnie's dead.

She sighed and halted in front of the lord's chambers. She knocked twice but only silence greeted her.

He's probably still downstairs.

She stepped inside and checked the other rooms. The hearth was already lit in the bedroom, and steamy water fogged up the bathroom.

Impatient, she paced around. I wish I could just slip into that bath... When will he return? Will he even come to his chambers tonight? She thought of the commander and how he hadn't shown up the previous night.

With a heavy sigh, she moved her fingers through the warm water.

Such a waste to let this grow cold without use.

She contemplated bathing alone, but she quickly scolded herself.

Are you mad? He'd be livid!

Still, her mind alternated between Lord Deminas lifting her up by her throat and throwing her off the balcony, and him smiling at her slyly as she seductively motioned for him to join her.

That, or tossing me onto the bed again to ravage me... She grunted and left the bathroom, blushing and aroused. I am mad. Very much so. She sat down in front of the hearth and stared into the flames. I wonder if Nina's alone too...

~~

Startled, Meya looked up from her half-slumber on the ground. Lord Deminas had entered the room—albeit a bit wobbly. His eyes filled with a joyous spark upon seeing Meya. "Such a good little pet, waiting for me by the fire." There was a very slight slur to his words.

Meya frowned. Is... Is he drunk? How much did he drink? She rose and curtsied. This might be a good time to ask him about Winnie.

Lord Deminas walked over to his wardrobe and started to undress. "Or are you waiting for something else?"

Meya's cheeks heated up as her mind immediately went to the steamy bath. "I... I was waiting for you, my lord." Her heart rate increased. It's not really a lie.

Dressed in only his undergarments, he walked up to her, lips curled in a mischievous smile. "Is that so?"

Meya nodded. "Y-yes, my lord."

His face was close, his breath laced with alcohol. "Why?"

Meya's brows furrowed and slowly she replied, "Because you asked me to come here every night until the commander leaves."

"The commander will leave in a few days from now. Are you going to miss staying in my quarters?"

The question took her by surprise, and she fumbled for words, causing the lord to chuckle.