Chapter 28

Spring, 1240

Spring, 1240

The vernal season arrives and seeds flourish.
Cherish life, for the summer rain may wash it all away.

~~

Meya was placing wood on the just-kindled fire when Nina slipped into the room behind her. Startled, she hissed, "Can't you knock? For a moment I feared it was someone else!"

"Sorry." Nina locked the door, repositioned the towel on the ground, and sat down next to Meya. "Juris was being annoying. He kept asking where we've been sleeping for the last month." She sighed. "Someone snitched and I'm certain it wasn't Gail or Lea."

"Are we in trouble?"

Nina shrugged. "He tried to follow me, but I used a secret passage near the dungeons. I'm amazed he didn't know about that one—or he thought I didn't know and went to look for me elsewhere. At any rate, I lost him. We just need to be careful that he doesn't try to follow us next time."

"So... does this mean you'll stop asking me to tell him about Winnie?"

Nina smirked. "Of course not."

Meya gave her a playful shove and she fell back onto the hide they were sitting on, giggling loudly as Meya crawled on top of her and tickled her sides.

"Oh, shh," Meya quickly shushed, stopping her attack.

Nina panted, a smile still plastered on her face. "There are barely any soldiers in the castle. You don't need to be so afraid."

"It only takes one soldier to get us in trouble, though... And what if Juris hasn't given up trying to find you yet?"

Nina's smile faltered and she sighed. "You're right." She pulled Meya into a hug, nuzzling her neck. "It's just that I love it when you tickle me like that."

"Tss, you just love me touching you."

Nina flicked her tongue against Meya's earlobe and she squirmed in response. "As if you don't." She cupped her breast and squeezed it slightly whilst grazing her teeth along the sensitive skin of her neck.

A soft moan slipped from Meya's lips and she rose so that she could peer into Nina's eyes. "You cheat. You know my weak spots."

An impish smile spread across Nina's face. "Oh, do I now?" Her fingers traced Meya's sides ever so lightly, covering her in goosebumps.

"Damn you," Meya hissed as she closed her eyes in delight.

Nina took the opportunity to push Meya off and to the ground, immediately getting on top of her and pinning her arms down. Nina's lips traced her neck from the jawline down to the collarbone, her hot breath tickling Meya's skin.