Chapter 21

"Just go ahead, we'll join you shortly," Nina said to Lea and Gail.

Gail turned to follow the sisters to the dining hall, but Lea remained to look at Meya for a moment. There was a glint in her eyes and she smiled before exiting the room.

Blood rushed to Meya's face. "I think she knows."

Nina walked over to Meya and wrapped her arms around her waist. "Knows what? About us?" She nuzzled her neck. "Even if she does, don't worry about it. Lea's a good person."

Blissfully, Meya closed her eyes as Nina trailed kisses down her neck. Her heart raced in her chest and she wanted to pull her close, but she fought the urge. "Nina," she whispered. "Come on, we have to get going..."

Nina backed away slightly but kept her hands on Meya's hips. There was a hint of disappointment on her face. "Don't you like this?"

"I... I do. It's just..." She swallowed, her eyes shooting back and forth between Nina and the door. "What if someone sees us?"

An impish smile graced Nina's face. "I'd say let's give them something to look at." She gave Meya a hard push.

With a yelp, Meya toppled onto the bed behind her. "Nina! What are y—" Nina's soft lips pressed against hers, silencing her protests. Oh, damn you... She shut her eyes and gave in, her fingers entangling themselves in Nina's raven locks.

Finally, Nina pulled away, smirking. "Come now, or we'll be late."

Meya sat up. Flustered, she licked her lips. "You do realise just how evil you are, I hope."

Nina's hazel eyes gleamed. "Of course." She bent forwards so their noses almost touched. "But you're just so cute when you're all hot and bothered." She flicked her tongue against the tip of Meya's nose and sprinted to the door, giggling.

Meya wiped her nose, her cheeks on fire. She stood up and followed Nina to the dining hall. And now I have to pretend like nothing happened. Great. She took a few deep breaths, hoping her face would return to its usual tint soon.

~~

Meya was busy with the lord's bed, happily humming to herself. She picked up the dirty handkerchief from the floor, her nostrils flaring for a moment, and dumped it on the laundry pile. Turning to the bed again, her heart skipped a beat and she stopped humming.

Lord Deminas stood in the door opening, a sly smile tugging at his lips. "You're rather cheerful today." He walked into the room, his eyes shifting to the pile of laundry before settling on Meya. "What happened?"

His grey eyes bore into her and Meya swallowed, a cold sweat covering her skin. What do I say? I'm sure he'll notice if I lie. Her pulse quickened. What would he do to liars?

The lord clutched Meya's chin. "Well? Tell me."

Meya parted her lips, but it took a moment before she was able to speak. "I... I suppose I'm just happy, my lord."

There was a bemused look in his eyes. "Is that so? And why's that?"

Blood rushed to Meya's cheeks. Because Nina kissed me. She tried to suppress the rising butterflies. "I-I guess I'm happy to have nice roommates, my lord. People who care about me."

Lord Deminas raised a brow.

Meya's thoughts raced to come up with things to say without actually lying. "It's safe here in the castle. I don't have to fear war anymore."

A mirthless chuckle left his lips. "So you're happy because you're delusional." He released her chin. "You let me hurt you just so your gossiping roommate wouldn't have to suffer, and you claim you have nice roommates that care about you?" He shook his head. "You disappoint me. As for no longer fearing war... You seem to forget where you are and whom you serve."