Chapter 42

<exclusive to the published version>

Remember: you can head to shimaira.com to buy yourself a copy if you want to know what happened 😏🔥

~~

The day after the commander had left, the tension in the castle had eased noticeably. Meya snuggled into Nina's embrace as they lay on the lord's old bed. "Do you think Lea and Gail would be upset with us?"

"For what? For still sleeping elsewhere?"

Meya nodded. "I mean, Winnie and Brit are both gone."

"Winnie trying to kill you might have caused us to move out, Lord Deminas finding us then resulted in... Well, everything else." She chuckled. "But he gave us permission to sleep here. I'm not giving up private nights with you—nor this wool-filled mattress."

The latter caused Meya to blush. I hadn't even considered that.

With a cheeky smile, Nina stated, "If you ask me, I still think Lord Deminas allowed us to sleep here just so no one would notice if he makes you spend the night in his quarters."

"Don't forget: he's making you sleep here, too." Meya smirked. "And you know the commander will eventually come back again."

"Is that supposed to dissuade me?"

Meya tickled her sides, causing Nina to yelp and giggle. "You're so into having sex with him, admit it."

"Oh, the sex is great." With a low voice she added, "Especially the little games he plays." She yelped again as Meya tickled her some more. "But the other things..." She shook her head. "At least when the lord drained some blood, he was moderate. The commander let me bleed until I passed out! That was genuinely scary." She sighed and Meya pulled her close.

"Let's just hope he won't be taking that much blood the next time he visits."

"He'll probably be taking it from whoever is unfortunate enough to bump into him when they roam the halls at night," Nina said with a shudder. "With any luck, it won't be someone like Novak, but rather someone who did something to deserve such a fate."

Meya grimaced and remained silent as she stroked Nina's hair. But who would deserve such a fate?

 But who would deserve such a fate?