Chapter 26

Meya gasped for breath as thick strands of saliva mixed with phlegm hung from her lips. She clutched the rim of the bucket that sat between her legs, knuckles white from the strain.

"That's it, I'm out of here," Brit said as her eyes shot from Meya to her sister. "You coming?"

Winnie rose without hesitation.

"What? Where are you going and why?" Lea stood in front of them, her hands on her sides as she scrutinised the two.

Brit pointed at Meya, who was gagging loudly. "That's why. I can't sleep like this! I also don't wish to be anywhere near her when she chokes to death."

A slap resounded through the room. "Have you no heart?"

Brit didn't even bother to rub her cheek, she just glared at Lea. "I'm no physician. What do you want me to do?"

"Show some support! I sat by your bedside when you and your sister were this ill!"

"You can't compare that! We weren't dying! Besides, we were in bed for a week. How long has—"

Meya's loud, retching coughs interrupted their argument. Lea and Gail eyed her grimly, while the sisters looked horrified and disgusted. The coughing turned to more gagging until she spat into the bucket, her raspy pants filling the room until Brit continued.

"How long has she been ill for? Hmm? You go ahead and try to convince yourself that she isn't dying, but I'm no fool. The sound of her choking is going to give me nightmares!" She pushed Lea aside. "Now, if you'll excuse us..."

"Where will you go?" Gail said, her voice trembling with restrained anger. She was sitting next to Meya, rubbing her back.

Brit huffed. "I'll sleep with the soldiers if I have to. I'm sure they wouldn't mind, considering they're going to war tomorrow."

Gail rolled her eyes. "Harlot," she hissed under her breath.

"Considering Nina's not here either, she might be doing the exact same thing." She held her chin up and left the room with Winnie following suit.

Gail rose to go after them, but Lea shook her head. The door closed and Gail sat back down. "Ruttish churl," she grumbled before turning her attention back to Meya, who coughed and spat out another mouthful of slime.

Lea sat down across from Gail. "Don't let them upset you."

Gail grunted. "They're the worst friends one can have."

"Not... friends," Meya rasped, more coughs following the words she spoke.

Gail rubbed her back. "I suppose you're right."

Lea sighed. "Speaking of... Where's Nina?"

"I have no idea... I didn't see her at supper, either." She looked at Meya. "Do you know where she is?"

Meya shook her head.

"Maybe the lord requested her presence? I mean, they are leaving for war tomorrow," Lea suggested.

"For what though? Do you really think he'd care if his desk is dusty or the bedroom floor muddy if he's to leave in the morning?"

Lea shrugged. "Who knows..."

Meya was unable to suppress another wave of coughing. Her head thumping from the exertion, she thought about what had been said. I think I know...

~~

Gail and Lea were drifting off to sleep, Meya's steady yet noisy breath suggesting she was already gone, when the door creaked open. Nina slipped inside as silently as she could, but Gail shot upright.