Chapter 9

After supper, Meya followed Nina to the servants' baths. To her surprise, Nina had been right: the place was abandoned.

Nina began to strip, neatly folding her clothes and placing them on a shelf. "The day they refresh the water and the day after is when most people bathe. The water might be a bit on the dirty side now, but at least it's not crowded." She turned to look at Meya and frowned. "You're not coming with me?"

Meya fumbled with her apron. How could I not have realised she wanted to take an actual bath when she asked me to come here?

"Meya, are you alright?" Nina placed a hand on her shoulder.

Startled, Meya looked up. "Huh? Eh, yeah. I'm..." She trailed off. Oh, who am I kidding? She looked into Nina's eyes, the scarce lamplight still providing enough illumination to show the concern in them.

"You can tell me," Nina said softly.

Meya trembled and she closed her eyes. She let out a deep sigh, swallowed, and pulled Nina into a tight hug, surprising her. "I guess I'm just not comfortable undressing in front of others."

Nina cupped Meya's face, her fingers entangling slightly in her wavy hair. "Well, you've been through a lot." She pulled her hands away to instead rub her back in consolation. "First the raiders, then the slaver..."

Tears welled up in Meya's eyes, a heavy, constricting sensation in her chest. Should I tell her...? She swallowed. "He... He made me strip." Her voice was weak, not much more than a whisper.

Nina stopped rubbing. "He... Who?"

With a small voice, Meya answered, "Lord Deminas made me clean the floor... in the nude." She shivered. "Whilst he watched me."

"Ugh..." She released Meya and looked at her. "Come on, chin up." Nina wiped away the tears that were rolling down Meya's freckled cheeks. "It may sound harsh, but we're servants. Sadly, if he wants to see you scrubbing the floor with your naked arse up in the air, he can." She smiled wryly. "Just be glad he doesn't ask for more."

Meya's eyes widened, then quickly filled with tears as her chest constricted. Oh gods, what if he does ask for more next time? Unable to remain standing as nausea washed over her, she sank to her knees, hid her face in her hands, and began to weep.

Grimacing, Nina cussed before squatting next to her. "I-I'm so sorry. I didn't mean-"

"Not... your fault," Meya managed between sobs. "You're right. It's just..." She sniffed. "I-I don't want... I don't ever want..." Her fingers dug into her forehead as a constricted wail escaped her throat.

"Shh, it's alright. I'm sorry." Nina gently pulled Meya towards her, resting her head against her bare chest, and caressed her hair. "If it's any consolation at all, I've never heard anyone mention they were forced to..." She hesitated. "You know..."

Meya trembled and sobbed, her hands still covering her face. If anyone ever was, though, would they have told or would they have kept it a secret? She didn't want to think about it, but her mind had already derailed and refused to let go of the possibility existing, throwing various scenarios at her.

"Everything will be alright," Nina continued to whisper in a soothing voice. "If he does end up"-she scraped her throat-"want me to kill him for you?"

Despite everything, Meya managed a grim smile through the tears. He's strong and could definitely kill me, but maybe, if he ever did try anything, I could at least kick him in the balls? She let out a single chuckle as she pulled away from Nina and began drying her eyes. Maybe break his nose? Another chuckle. Gods, I'd be so dead.