Chapter 17

The entire morning, Meya had a knot in her stomach. She did her chores and made sure she'd collected all the laundry before lunch. Going down to the laundry room, she wondered if Lea had heard anything from Gail—she hadn't seen Lord Deminas yet and this worried her.

The moment she walked into the steamy room, the bells sounded through the castle. Meya quickly dumped the pile of laundry next to the others and searched for Lea. Spotting her, she hurried over.

Lea looked up the moment she realised someone was standing behind her. "Oh, Meya..." She immediately clung to her, her face as grave as her voice.

Dread filled Meya and she swallowed. How bad is it? She took a deep breath. "How's Gail?"

Lea shook her head. "It's... hard to say."

"What did he do?"

Lea released Meya so she could look at her. "Well... He didn't take her tongue, at least." Her eyes glistened with unshed tears.

I'm glad he spoke the truth on that part. But... what did he do then? "Will Gail be at lunch?"

Lea shook her head and walked away, hand covering her mouth.

Meya watched her go, fear gripping her heart and nailing her to the floor. What did he do to her that made Lea act this way? Appetite lost, she decided to skip lunch and go see Gail instead.

~~

Not finding Gail in their chamber, Meya went to her workplace next. Meya entered the room and immediately saw Gail sitting at a desk, working on an apron. Thank the gods! If she can still work, she shouldn't be in too bad a shape. She walked over. "Hey, Gail," she said in a hushed tone. "Lea said you weren't joining us for—" Gail turned around and Meya gasped loudly at the sight of her.

The poor woman's lips had been sewn shut.

Meya quivered in both fear and anger. Lord Deminas is mad! How can he do something so cruel? How is she supposed to eat? To drink? Is she to starve? Slowly, she moved closer to Gail. "Does... Does it hurt?"

Gail turned her gaze down and shrugged.

Meya knelt before her. "Did the lord say for how long you must suffer this?"

Gail shook her head.

Meya shivered in horror. "Can you still drink?"

Gail shook her head again, the gloom surrounding her deepening. Gently, she touched the stitches that held her lips together. They were pretty tight.

This can't be happening... She'll die! Trembling, Meya grasped Gail's hand. "It'll be alright. You'll get through this." She eyed the sharp scissors and knives that lay on the desk. I could easily free her... But Lord Deminas would surely find out and then what'll happen? She closed her eyes. Damn it!

Gail placed her hand on Meya's and stroked it. She breathed in deeply through her nose and exhaled loudly—a sigh.

Not able to handle the emotions, Meya stood up. "I, ehm... I'll see you tonight." She hurried out of the room, back to the lord's chambers. Despite the anger she felt towards Gail, she didn't think she deserved this. Those rumours were vile, but not vile enough for her to suffer like that, and no way near bad enough to potentially die for! She anxiously chewed her lip. I need to know when the lord's going to free her.

~~

It was nearing suppertime when Lord Deminas finally entered his chambers—Meya had feared he wasn't going to come up at all. She greeted the lord and continued to polish the shelves. It took her a lot of effort to control herself, for she actually wanted to rush straight towards him and ask him about Gail's punishment.