Chapter 29

Heart pounding in her throat, Meya pulled on her robe with trembling hands. Her eyes kept shifting from the ground to the commander. He leaned against the wall, hand stroking his trimmed beard and gaze fixed on Nina, who still stood next to the bed, naked aside from the stockings draped around her ankles.

Oh, Nina, I hope you know what you're doing. Meya swallowed and glanced at the commander one final time before turning around. Her fingers fumbled with tying the apron behind her back, increasing her anxiety.

She exchanged a worried look with Nina, who gave her a faint, reassuring smile.

Lord Deminas impatiently tapped his boot against the stone floor as Meya quickly stepped into her clogs and hurried over to him, her head low. Please don't hurt me, please don't hurt me...

The lord took out a keyring and removed a piece. He handed it to Commander Andreas with a stern look. "Don't forget what I told you."

A wicked smile curled his lips. "I won't."

Lord Deminas gave him a curt nod and turned his attention to Nina. "Tomorrow, after breakfast, you'll report to my chambers."

"Yes, my lord," she answered with a bow of the head.

He spun around and left the room, not even bothering to tell Meya to follow.

Eyes cast down, she stepped into the hallway and closed the door behind her. After taking just two steps, she heard the lock click and she slowed as her breath hitched. Nina will be alright. She decided to stay. She knows what she's doing. Gods, I hope she knows what she's doing.

Realising she'd been dallying, she scurried over to Lord Deminas. He'd been waiting for her farther down the hall, expression unreadable. The moment she caught up, he started walking again, still not saying a word.

This is bad, this is bad... She fumbled with her apron. How upset is he? What will he do? What's the commander doing to Nina? What did the lord say to him? She swallowed the lump in her throat. Should I start apologising and grovelling now or when we get to... There was a brief pause in her step. Where are we going? Oh gods, please don't let him be leading me to the dungeons!

There was a sliver of relief when they ascended the stairs, but it faded quickly.

Is he taking me back to his quarters just to toss me over the balcony? Surely being found in his old bed is comparable enough to being found in his bath. She clutched her apron so hard her knuckles were white. Oh gods, why did we ever think sleeping in that room was a good idea?

Her head spun with uncertainty and dread. By the time they reached his chambers, Meya was on the verge of tears. Lord Deminas opened the door and motioned for Meya to enter first. Trembling, she hurried inside the cold, dark room. Beads of icy sweat rolled down her back and she chewed her lip in an attempt to keep her composure. The door closed behind her and she jumped slightly, nearly puncturing her own flesh with her teeth.

Alright, now get on your knees and beg for your life. Kiss his boots if needed. Yet she found she couldn't move, her breathing shallow and fast, with the apron still clutched between her cramping fingers.

Lord Deminas stepped in front of her, the light of the lamp chasing the shadows away. "Look at me," he stated in a neutral tone.

Terrified, Meya cast her gaze up, connecting it with the lord's. His grey eyes pierced hers, though she couldn't determine if she was seeing anger in them or not. Knees. Drop. Beg, she told herself, but she was no longer sure if that was the best course of action. He doesn't have his hand around my throat—yet. That's good.