Chapter 23

Meya slowly regained consciousness. Feeling utterly horrible, she groaned and gripped the blankets covering her. When she opened her eyes, it took her a moment before she realised she was in her own bed. The room was empty, but there was a low fire in the hearth. Confused, she tried to remember what had happened. I was about to get new water to clean the floors and... She coughed and her chest burned. She felt like crying. Did I really faint? How did I get here?

She imagined the lord entering his chambers and finding her sprawled on the floor. The already present blush on her cheeks worsened.

Did he carry me here?

Then she realised something: she was naked underneath the sheets.

Oh gods, did he...?

The anxiety triggered another few coughs, and, scowling, she swallowed the phlegm in the back of her throat.

Oh, what the hell. She sighed. It's not like he hasn't seen me naked before. She hoped thinking that would make her feel better, but it didn't.

Her body ached, and her extremities felt heavy. She turned left, then right, but neither position seemed to bring her any relief. Miserably, she sat up a bit and pulled the blanket to her chin.

I hate this. I hate this so much. Tears prickled her eyes, and she fought to keep them at bay. I need to get better, and soon. Images of how Lord Deminas would be displeased with her absence—with her inability to do her duties—crossed her mind. I don't want him to be upset with me, or worse: punish me. She swallowed the lump in her throat and suppressed another cough. This is punishment already.

~~

"Hey, Meya," a soft voice said.

Meya opened her eyes slowly, tired still. Nina?

"How are you feeling? You gave me quite the shock!"

"I—" she started, but a cough forced its way out of her chest. Damn it! She swallowed and tried again. "Terrible."

Nina took her hand and rubbed it. "Just rest, alright? You need to get well."

"What about... my duties?"

Nina smiled. "Is that really the first thing on your mind?" She shook her head, but the smile didn't leave her lips. "Don't worry about that. Juris asked me to take over for you and Lord Deminas agreed. Someone else will help Kadeem in the meantime."

Meya's eyes widened. "Aren't you... afraid?"

"Ha!" Nina sat down on the edge of the bed. "You've told me plenty of stories to know what I can expect. Don't worry: I'll behave." She winked.

You're braver than I am. I still stress every time he's near. She wanted to tell Nina this, but she was too tired to waste her precious breath on that many words. Instead, she voiced the question that was burning for an answer. "How'd I... get here?"

"Juris carried you in."

Meya stiffened.

"He came looking for me after, and I tucked you in." She planted a kiss on her forehead. "Wow, you're burning up!" She rose and got the large jug from the table by the window. "I'll be right back." Grabbing a piece of cloth from the wardrobe, she rushed out of the room.

A feeling of despair washed over Meya. No, don't feel sad now. Nina's taking care of you. But there was still a painful emptiness in her chest.

Her mind's eye showed how Lord Deminas would've found her, a scowl on his face. She even imagined him poking her side with his muddy boot before storming out of the room to get Juris.