Chapter 39

Meya was humming a tune as she cleaned the floor, oblivious to Lord Deminas walking in behind her. It wasn't until his shadow appeared over her work area that she stopped, startled. "My lord," she said, looking up at him. The way his eyes shimmered sent chills down her spine.

He gestured for her to rise. "Come with me for a moment. I have something to discuss."

Confused, she placed the cleaning rag on the edge of the bucket and followed the lord to his desk. Why does he sound so serious? What's going on? Meya stood before the now seated lord, nervously wiping her damp hands dry on her apron.

The corners of his mouth began to slowly creep up, and he motioned for her to come closer. "Sit." He tapped on the wood of his desk.

Flustered, Meya did as told. "Is... there a problem, my lord?"

He smiled and shook his head, his eyes glinting with something mischievous. He ran a finger along her cheek, causing her to tremble. "There's no problem..."

The moment he came close to her mouth, she parted her lips slightly, but he removed his hand and merely smirked at the look of yearning on her face.

"...My pet."

Her cheeks ran hot but she remained silent. What game's he playing this time?

The lord straightened himself, his impish smile refusing to leave as he kept his gaze locked on Meya. "As you know, Commander Andreas will be leaving tomorrow. Considering... recent events, I want to do something special tonight."

The blood drained from Meya's face. Does he want me to cook again? But I thought he wouldn't have another servant killed during the commander's stay!

Lord Deminas chuckled. "Rest assured, this is not related to the special task I had you and Nina do previously." He leaned forwards, scrutinising her. "However, it will take place in the dungeons." The brief moment of fright in Meya's eyes caused him to smile deviously, and he caressed her cheek once more. "You'll have to trust me when I tell you that this won't be a punishment of any kind." He released her and reclined, assessing her reaction.

Meya's thoughts were jumbled. Frowning, she managed to ask, "So, there will be no... cooking involved, my lord?"

He simply shook his head. "No." The devilish delight that sparkled in his eyes made Meya skittish. "It's a lot more fun without telling you all the details beforehand. But, I'll tell you this: it would just be the commander and myself. I'm inviting you and Nina to attend, and you're both allowed to decline. If you do decide to join us, know that you're free to leave whenever you want. You won't even need to ask for permission."

More confused than anxious now, Meya tried to process what he'd said. "My lord, you say we're... invited? And are free to decline?"

He nodded with a sly smile. "You heard me correctly. If you and Nina do decide to join us, you're allowed to leave whenever you please. You may stay and observe or even... participate. There will be no obligations. Well, except for one thing." He leaned forwards again, his smile widening. "You're not to speak to anyone about what happens."

Meya suppressed a grimace. That's the rule for just about every interaction we have. She wetted her lips as she studied the lord, his eyes filled with eager expectation. No cooking or punishment of any kind... A genuine open invitation to join, but to do what? Observe or participate... What if there's a prisoner? She shuddered at the thought of being offered human flesh or wine laced with blood—or worse: getting to watch how the commander had his fun. No, wait, he said it would just be him and the commander.

Lord Deminas chuckled. "You'll have to trust me on this." His fingers cupped her chin and his expression turned serious. "Though I do hope you'll decide to at least come and see what I've got planned, I can't stress enough that you're allowed to leave if you don't wish to stay. I don't want you—or Nina for that matter—to feel obligated to do anything. Do you understand?"

Meya nodded. "Y-yes, my lord."

He leaned in but stopped just before his lips would touch hers. Blushing, Meya kissed him, yet she couldn't help but wonder what she was going to find in the dungeons that night.

~~

A/n: Sorry! As forewarned: this is the part that's exclusive to the published version. If you've been enjoying the story so far and would love to support me and/or are just really curious to find out what happens next, please head to shimaira.com and get yourself a copy ♥
~The eBook is only $3 👀

The story will continue here with the last bit of chapter 42 before going into "Part 4: Summer".
Don't worry: I'm not depriving you of the ending—I'm not that evil 😆 only this 🔥🔞 scene is exclusive to the published version.