Epilogue

A week has passed since the birth. Ace stands wearily at the railing, the sleeping Rouge in his arms. Gently he rocks her back and forth, half asleep, while the poor souls of the night watch look at him with amusement. Ace yawns heartily. He wonders how a small child, on whom everything is delicate and fragile, can have vocal cords with the consistency of ship's rope. Rouge coos and everything tenses inside him. "Go back to sleep, please go back to sleep!" he begs his daughter. Behind him he hears the sniggering of the men. Suddenly the night watch is more popular, as the youngest member of the pirate crew, takes incredible pleasure in kicking her parents out of bed several times in the middle of the night.

Ace has been wishing for a week that his narcolepsy was hereditary, then the whole thing would be easier. But unfortunately Rouge doesn't just fall asleep, no she needs a lot of cuddling and encouragement and then even the slightest creak wakes her up. He can always see Marco's satisfied grin in the morning. He is more than happy to have given the three of them the cabins at the bottom of the ship. But otherwise Rouge is the princess of the Moby, if she wants even the slightest attention during the day, all she has to do is whimper and someone will be with her. To make sure nothing happens, either Lucia or Marco keep a sharp eye on Rouge. Much to Lucia's chagrin, Rouge has already inherited some of Ace's character traits. She is very curious and completely fearless, well Marco calls it stupidity with him, inexperience with Rouge.

Warm arms wrap around Ace's waist and a chin is rested on his shoulder. "Is she finally asleep?" he hears Lucia's tired voice. Ace yawns heartily and nods. "Yes!" he whispers tonelessly, scowling at any wave that sloshes too loudly against the bow. "Why aren't you asleep? It's my turn to baby watch!" murmurs Ace, covering Rouge's small hand again. Ace feels Lucia tilt her head, taking in his whole shoulder. "Couldn't, the bed was so cold without you," Lucia says and closes her eyes, yawning. Ace smirks. "And it has nothing to do with the fact that Rouge was no longer in the room?" asks Ace amusedly. Lucia grumbles and prefers not to answer that. But Ace knows better, Lucia can't sleep peacefully if Rouge isn't near her in the cradle. He doesn't feel any better when Lucia is on baby duty. As soon as she takes Rouge in her arms and goes out on deck, Ace goes after her. Keeping a watchful eye on his girls from the shadows.

He has also noticed how the night watch immediately becomes more attentive as soon as Rouge comes on deck. "Let's go back to bed, it's going to be a long day tomorrow!" yawns Lucia. She's right, they should all sleep. Ace spins around as Lucia disengages from him. She stretches out her arms and Ace puts Rouge in her arms. Briefly the baby grumbles and immediately Lucia runs a reassuring hand over her cheek. They walk along the dark corridors of the Moby, where their comrades sleep contentedly. The three of them arrive at their kingdom and Ace lies down in bed while Lucia puts Rouge into her cradle. Then she crawls wearily into bed with him.

"Garp wants to come over tomorrow!" murmurs Lucia. "Don't remind me!" complains Ace, half asleep. Lucia grins, Ace just knows it, even when his eyes are closed. "Do you believe it?" asks Lucia then suddenly. Ace knows without asking what is meant. He remembers in the demon's world. Lucia has promised to show him that it was right that he was born. "Yes!" he says and takes her in his arms.

His heart has finally found peace through his brothers, his father, his crew mates and now his fiancée and daughter. They have given his life value! Ace grins, Rouge would still cause a lot of chaos on the Moby. But that is another story.