27. Mistrust

A/N: I'm back after Honkai: Star Rail launched and have another little announcement. Since I realized how long the upcoming in-game chapters are, I'm going to skip a lot of things, important things will be mentioned of course, but I want to get a better progress with the story (We're at Chapter 30 now in-game). So don't be surprised if things move a little faster now.

~Yuki POV~

Everything went downhill. When Mei and I regained consciousness, we were still in the Elysian Realm. Hua was the first to find us in the lobby. She told us that it was getting tense and that we should leave the realm. But this was not possible for us, and Kasane was still here. The next thing was Kalpas, who was going on a rampage on Elyisa's island. I had never seen him so out of control, yesterday he was almost tame with me. Kalpas was so caught up in his rage that he saw everyone as an enemy, even little Griseo, Mei and me. 

When the situation threatened to escalate, Su intervened. A bright light surrounded us and when it disappeared again, Kalpas was gone. ,,Where is Kalpas?" I asked worried. ,,Don't worry, he was just transported somewhere else. Although i can't confine some like Kalpas for long.... It should buy us enough time sort things out.'' Su replied. ,,What changes occurred while we were away?'' Mei asked serious. No one answered, but I noticed that everyone kept their distance from each other. Mei seemed to notice it too.

,,You don't seem to be surprised about our return, Su.'' Mei stated. ,,I managed to find you because Su sensed your Situation.'' Hua explained. ,,I found it out late... but not too late, fortunately. Visitors, you should refrain from moving alone. We haven't gotten hold of any clues, but we have reason to believe that there's a traitor or more among us. And... they are trying to erase other sims one by one.'' Su explained further. Mei and I understood immediately. Elysia had not just disappeared.... She was deleted by someone. My hands clenched. How could anyone do such a thing?

The next flame chaser to disappear was Kevin. Loud printed papers flew through the air and as with Elysia, the same thing was written over and over again on the pages: Kevin is dead.

.

.

.

.

When the Situation had calmed down a bit, Eden suggested that we split up. Since distrust was building up among the flame chasers, this seemed like a good idea. However, Eden explained better that they were using their differences to protect something. While Mei went with Eden, I stayed with Kosma and Griseo. Of course, I knew that they were strong and had fought in the previous era, but I also wanted to keep an eye on Griseo. 

The three of us went to the large square where Mei and I were to meet Elysia. ,,Why did you choose to come with us?" Kosma asked me. ,,Good question, there are two reasons.... The first is that I want to protect Griseo. I know she has you, but in my eyes she is still a little girl. The second is.... I'm afraid. Everything is happening so fast right now that it seems unreal. Still, I'm not going to run away. Normally I would have gone with Mei, but I think it's really better that we go our separate ways right now. If something really happens, Mei and I will have a better view of the island,'' I answered honestly. ,,Why don't you run away? You have already said several times that you are not an Awakened Herrscher. Couldn't you have chosen a normal life then?" Kosma asked me further.  

,,Actually, I have often asked myself that. What would have happened if I had not become a Valkyrie? I think I would still be sitting in the Schicksal HQ suffering in my loneliness. But fortunately that didn't happen. When I was little I always heard how Valkyries were something like heroines. So I wanted to become one. Of course it wasn't as easy as I imagined. And the last years were hard, but exactly because of these experiences I say that I don't run away. That's why I want to do everything I can to help you,'' I answered with a smile.