6. Escape from the base

~Yuki POV~

It had been about a day since Durandal had taken Kiana and me. Kiana was still unconscious and I was sitting on a chair next to her bed. I had pulled my legs to my body and buried my head in my arms. Every now and then someone came in to check on Kiana's condition, but I paid no attention. As soon as we were alone again, my tears ran like a waterfall. I was frustrated and angry at myself. Not even the voice in my head said anything. Every time I looked over at Kiana my guilt got worse. ,,If only I were stronger....'' I muttered bitterly.

The sound of the bed pulled me out of my thoughts and I saw Kiana tossing and turning. ,,Kiana?" I asked quietly and knelt down next to the bed. ,,Mei-senpai!" Kiana suddenly screamed and sat up. Kiana mumbled something I couldn't understand before her eyes met mine. ,,Yuki?" she asked me in disbelief. ,,You idiot! How dare you scare me like that!" I cried and hugged her. Hesitantly, I felt Kiana put her arms around me as well. ,,Wait... Where are we?" she asked. ,,We are in a Schicksal base. Durandal took us both," I explained and wiped away the last tears. ,,So you're awake," someone suddenly spoke behind us. Kiana looked past me and I turned around. Durandal was standing in the doorway. ,,You... are Durandal?" asked Kiana. Right, she personally didn't know Durandal.

Durandal nodded at Kiana's question and felt Kiana tense up next to me. ,,What happened to Arc City? Where is Mei-senpai?" asked Kiana immediately. ,,The city is safe, no one is hurt and the Valkyries are taking care of the rest. Raiden Mei has joined her friends and left the city," Durandal explained. Kiana breathed out a little in relief next to me. ,,You two are now in a Schicksal research facility located in North Africa. Any other questions?" continued Durandal. ,,Durandal.... I knew we would eventually meet face to face," Kiana said, squeezing my hand unobtrusively. I really didn't know what to do right now. Of course I had questions, but I doubted that I would get honest answers. ,,I am glad that you have prepared yourself mentally for this moment. It will make things easier for me. If you and Yuki-san don't have any more questions, then I suggest you rest," Durandal replied.

I felt Kiana's grip on my hand tighten and she was deep in thought. ,,I thought I told you to rest," Durandal said suddenly, standing right in front of us. ,,What? When did you....," Kiana said, startled. ,,This laboratory is 1000 meters underground. There's nowhere to run. There is no need to be so confused. I can easily read your thoughts. You and Yuki-san are injured. And you are suffering from Herrscher core infections. You even gave Honkai Energy off while you were unconscious. Maybe you did it before, but you are in no shape to control those powers inside you. You are nothing but a ticking bomb when you leave this place,'' Durandal explained. Kiana continued to look at her in shock. ,,I am glad we have an understanding. I hope you know what you should do," Durandal said.

.

.

.

After Durandal left, Kiana rested a little, but I found no rest. The words of Durandal kept coming into my head that the overseer also wanted me back. I also realized more and more that I knew nothing about the outside world. I had taken it lightly to become a Valkyrie and now I sit here in can do nothing. ,,Yuki, are you all right?" asked Kiana, who had just woken up again. ,,If I'm honest, I don't know,'' I answered. ,,Do you want to talk about it?" Kiana asked and sat down next to me. ,,When you fell unconscious from the sky in Arc City and I found you, I met Durandal. She said that her mission was not only to bring you back, but also to bring me back," I explained, deliberately leaving out the part about Mei. ,,What does Otto want from you? Isn't he the one who let you go?" Kiana asked suspiciously. ,,It was like that. Why I should come back now I don't know. I just hope it doesn't come to that. I can' t face him,'' I admitted.