25. Among us...

~Yuki POV~

After Kalpas let go of me and disappeared, I also went back. While I was back I noticed that my face felt quite warm. ,,I better not get sick now..." I muttered. When I arrived at the entrance of the residential area, I saw Mei and Elysia standing by the pavilion in the distance. It seems that they haven't missed me yet. 

As I got closer I could hear what Mei and Elysia were talking about. ,,...This is excactly why I believe anyone in the same position would've done the same... or maybe eben better? This is the beautiful and the ego I believe in.'' explained Elysia with a soft smile. ,,At first, I thought the answer or at least some hints of it were hidden in the memories, so I dug through them. In retrospect, it's correct, but it's not everything. This place houses so many pasts unrelated to the truths... They'd habe perished together with the Previous Era otherwise.'' Mei replied. ,,You're bound to miss some, if not most, stories. The entirety of thirteen lives... is chaotic yet wondrous.'' said Elysia softly. ,,The significance lies in what I want to believe in the process.'' ,,That'll determine what you get when you reach the end.'' said Elysia. ,,But I never managed to jump out of your trap. We made a long detour. Your purpose hasn't changed at all.'' objected Mei.

,,It's not really a purpose. Like I said, the Elysian Realm has it's use, thanks to Mobius's Project Stigma. But you spelled out my little dream. I'm quite stubborn about not changing. I think the current Mei und Yuki can face my end calmly.'' explained Elysia and eyed me for a moment. ,,I hope so. But... I'm surprised. Despite not liking lying, you lied about your Herrscher identity. The 13th Herrscher... You didn't have to hide it from me and Yuki-chan for so long.'' said Mei calmly. ,,Oh. You're right. Maybe I did tell a big lie, the only lie in my life. It's because I felt scared. After finding out I'm the 13th Herrscher, would you still greet me with a smile? Would you doubt me? Would you leave me? Am I.. a big disappointment?'' Elysia asked thoughtfully. My eyes widened at her last question. It was exactly the question that had also crossed my mind more than once.

,,Yes, for thinking that way. I didn't bat an eye when you told me you're the second-in-command. Why would I treat you differently because of another identity? You turned into a Herrscher, so what? Me und Yuki-chan are also Herrschers. Is this answer enough?'' Mei replied with her arms crossed. ,,It... sure is.'' smiled Elysia. Suddenly, Mei's answer was heard once again. ,,Huh?" Mei and I exclaimed. Only now did I notice that Elysia had a loudspeaker behind her back. ,,---so what? Me and Yuki-chan are also Herrschers.'' ,,Elysia!!!'' Mei gasped in shock and I started to laugh. It was so clear that Elysia would do something like that. ,,Okay! I'll cut it out! You two are leaving after getting your answers, so I want to make nice memories of you.'' Elysia gave in and held the loudspeaker close to her.

Elysia's gaze wandered to an island in the distance which was shrouded in mist. ,,That's weird. I should be fully prepared. Why is it still shrouded in fog?" Elysia asked thoughtfully. ,,That island... is the destination?" Mei asked as well. ,,Yep, everything you want to know about the banquet is cached there. I'm also curious about what actually happened," Elysia replied. 'Somehow I can't follow the conversation at all...' I thought. ,,No wonder.... While you were messing with Mobius and cuddling with Kalpas, you missed a lot of things.'' Kasane suddenly spoke and I could literally hear her smirk. 'Hey, you know that Elysia sent me away...' I protested. ,,I know, I just wanted to tease you a little. Besides, you should be paying attention Mei and Elysia seem to want to leave,'' Kasane joked and I shook my head. 

.

.

With some distance I followed the two. Elysia and Mei talked about different things and before I knew it we had arrived at the large square with the flowers and fountains. ,,There is one thing I want to ask you both," Elysia started and drew my attention to her. ,,How do you view us sims... or should I say the digital recreations of the deceased?'' she continued. ,,View?'' asked Mei confused. ,,Whether they are martyrs who died early, or pioneers who live to see the future... they are real, and ultimately irrelevant to us. We who are here are but shadows left in the past. We can only remain here, unable to reach into your reality or accompany you into the future. Once you two leave for a normal life, you will realize that everything happend here is little more than a virtual story. It may not long for you two to forget these things, forget these words... and forget our existence. You will meet someone better than me, or may already habe. After all, you two still habe a tomorrow to embrace. In that case, are our feelings, our thoughts, our will, our deeds... of any value?'' Elysia explained with a sad smile.