75. Queen & King

"We are wed, husband and wife." Vaera reminded Aegon. 

"Yes." He agreed immediately. 

"I think its only fair we are both crowned today. Together." Vaera remarked and Aegon smiled softly to himself. 

"You know I never wanted to be king." Aegon informed her. "Being with you, made me feel like a king though, you are the love that wanted and needed and craved since before I knew what love was. This can be your moment, I'm happy to bask in your glory." Aegon assured. 

"And I dont like the spotlight." Vaera countered. "Come on, you and me." 

"Make way for the royal wheelhouse!" the captain shouted as Aegon and Vaera approached. "Go on, move yourself! Come on!"

"People of King's Landing... today is the saddest of days." Otto announced. ''Our beloved king... Viserys the Peaceful... is dead." There was a murmuring of sad woes. ''But it is also the most joyous of days... for as his spirit left us... but Princess Vaera has been chosen by our king to rule over us." Otto declared and the crowd applauded out for their new queen.

"Guards!" the commander shouted. ''Out of the way! Move!'' They were getting into position for their new king to march down the aisle. They marched down the people parted and the rose their blade high for Vaera to pass under.

"Halt! Turn!'' The horns blared out. ''Present... arms!''

"Ready Aegon?" Vaera questioned and he chuckled. Aegon held to her hand. 

"With you. Always." Aegon agreed. 

"It is your great good fortune and privilege to be here to witness this: a new day for our city... a new day for our realm. A new Queen... and king... to lead us." Otto declared as Vaera and Aegon marched through hand in hand. As they passed the swords fell after them. Each step closer to something they had never wanted.

Vaera ascended the steps first and Aegon moved to the side smiling back at her from beside Vizzy. Vaera wished her father was here to see this, see them. Vaera looked at Criston and she gave his hand a squeeze. 

"Ready Vaera?" Criston whispered. 

"I should have had a cookie before I got here." Vaera remarked with a giggle. "I'm ready..." she assured softly. 

'May the Warrior give her courage. May the Smith lend strength to her sword and shield. May the Father defend her in her need." the Septon began. ''May the Crone lift her shining lamp and light her way to wisdom." Criston stepped forward the crown in hand

"The crown of Visenya Targaryen, a woman of wisdom and skill, has been untouched for generations but the Gods seem to agree that Vaera is worthy of such a crown, such a legacy." Criston spoke. ''Let the Seven bear witness: Vaera Targaryen is the true heir to the Iron Throne."

"Queen Vaera Targaryen, first of her name, Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm." Criston declared putting the crown on her head. 

Vaera smiled softly as the people erupted in cheers. She looked around at them before looking to Aegon. She reached a hand out for him. 

"Long live the queen!"

"Long live queen mommy!" 

"Queen Vaera!" 

"Queen mama!" 

"And my king." Vaera declared. Aegon stepped forward and all went quiet again.  Except for the sucking sound of Jaehaerys sucking his thumb that is. Vaera needed to help him break that habit but that was a situation for another day. 

"My husband, my king." Vaera remarked fondly. Otto smiled satisfied as he shifted Alyssa in his arms. she kept clapping as Aegon knelt before Criston and Vaera. 

''May the Warrior give him courage. May the Smith lend strength to his sword and shield. May the Father defend him in his need." Septon Eustace began. ''May the Crone lift her shining lamp and light his way to wisdom." Criston stepped forward once again the crown in hand

"The crown of the Conqueror, passed down through generations." Criston spoke as Aegon breathed deeply awaiting the crown be placed on his head. ''Let the Seven bear witness: Aegon Targaryen is the true heir to the Iron Throne." Criston announced. Vaera held out her hand and Criston gave her the crown. Vaera smiled touching his cheek before putting the crown on Aegon's head. He rose up and kissed Vaera. There was a hoot from the audience. 

''All hail His Grace, Aegon, Second of his Name, King of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm."  Vaera declared as he kissed her again. 

"Aegon the King!" they declared, the crowd applauded, cheered as Aegon turned to them.

"Long live Aegon." Vaera agreed. "Go on, give the people what they want." 

''Aegon the King!''  

Aegon smiled back at Vaera before he rose up his sword for them, his smile growing.

"Long live Vaera!"

"Long live the queen!" 

''Long live Aegon!''

"Long live Queen Vaera!" 

"Long live the queen!" But the happiness weaned as a dragon came breaking through, the crowd screamed as Meleys roared, footsteps thudding and thundering as their screaming echoed trying to get out but Meleys kept going. They ran for the doors, they had been sealed to keep out riff raff but didnt expect someone to break through on dragon back, not using the doors at all. 

"Open the doors!" Otto shouted. ''Open the doors!''

"Get the children." Alicent demanded of Aemond as she moved forward. Vaera spun around turning to a screaming Vizzy and Jaehaerys. Aegon held his blade confidently out. He was going to protect his family. Alicent ran in front of Aegon as Vaera cradled her babies to her. 

"Where is your loyalty, your honor Rhaenys?" Vaera demanded as she tried to soothe Jaehaerys. "You knelt before me and now you are ready to burn me and my family? Shows what kind of queen you would have been." Rhaenys glared down at her before Meleys opened his mouth, a scream so loud his breath so hot it made them falter back.

Vaera huffed out a breath before looking to Aegon. He moved to her as Rhaenys flew off. 

"If Rhaenys is this mad, I can't imagine what Rhaenyra is going to do."