8. I'm A Man

"Aegon?" Vaera questioned knocking on his door.

"Vaera, my lovely, lovely Vaera." Aegon remarked with a grin. "What do I owe the pleasure?'

"Why must you torment your brother?" Vaera asked gently.

"It is easy and fun." Aegon told her.

"I remember when you were so sweet, what happened to that little boy?"

"I'm a man now vaera." Aegon reminded her puffing out his chest.

"A spoiled brat you have become." Vaera countered and Aegon's smug smile fell from his face. His mother yelling at him and slapping him was nothing new but Vaera's sad face looking over at him, that hurt.

"I'm sorry Vaera." Aegon told her.

"It is not I that needs the apology Aegon." Vaera reminded him tucking his hair behind his ear so she could see his face. "Honey, you know I love you and your siblings and I know Jace and Luke are eager to follow your lead because you are the eldest and they think the world of you... don't do this to them."

"Do what? Make them awesome?" Aegon countered that smug smile returning.

"They are the future kings. Being a bully does not make a good king. They need to learn from their... uncle Aegon. How to be a good man. Can you do that for me?" Vaera asked and Aegon nodded. ''My good boy." Vaera said kissing his forehead. "Apologize to Aemond as well." Vaera instructed. "Good night honey."

"Good night Vaera." Aegon replied tipping back into the pillows.

+

Daemon was studying with his daughter Baela when Laena happened upon them. Baela made a quick exit sensing a difficult conversation.

''You are considering Prince Reggio's offer.'' Laena said incredulously.

''We have a good life here. We're free to do as we please, welcomed and feted.'' Daemon corrected

''And eternally guests.''

''Precisely. We are without responsibility. The political scheming, the endless shifting of loyalties and succession is none of ours.'' Daemon corrected

''They are using us.'' Laena hissed

''It's refreshing, isn't it? A simple transaction. We have dragons, they have gold.'' Daemon countered

''We are more than this, Daemon. We are not minstrels or mummers who play at the pleasure of an alien prince. We are the blood of Old Valyria. We don't belong here.'' Laena said in exasperation.

''Valyria is gone. We don't belong anywhere.'' Daemon corrected

''I want my child to be born where I was born, on Driftmark, in my lord father's castle. I want my daughters to be raised in their homeland with their family according to their birthright. And at my end, I want to die a dragonrider's death. Not that of some fat country lord." Laena hissed as she stomped off.

+

''Soften your knees. Feet light.'' Criston remarked as the young princes were training together in the courtyard.

''Keep your feet light and your hands heavy.'' Harwin instructed. He of course had taken a keen interest in the princess Rhaenyra's childrens training. They were his nephews. Gael lifted Luke's wooden sword up trying to get him to focus.

''This is the stuff, Lyonel. Lads that learn together, train together... knock each other down, pick each other up. They will certainly form a lifelong bond, wouldn't you agree?'' Viserys questioned as he watched from above. He saw Haezel and Aemma running up to Harwin. Viserys sat in his chair, as he often did for age did not suit him, he knew he was dying but wasn't every day a gift, he had lived this long, ruled this long to see his grandchildren brought into the world, to have five beautiful children of his own. But he felt himself growing weaker.