30. Catch Her

"Working on an heir?" ALicent questioned. 

"Mother that is not your concern." Aegon barked back. 

"I am your mother. I care for you. For your future." Alicent corrected. 

"I am giving Vaera the time she needs. She has been through a lot. Her body has been through a lot." Aegon reminded her. "I thought you of all people would understand that." Aegon remarked and Alicent blinked back at him. WHen did Aegon become such a kind boy? When did he become a man? When did he care about anyone else? When did this person stood before him appear... one that cared. Truly cared. 

"Of course." Alicent agreed. "Thats very kind of you." ALicent wished her husband had taken similar considerations when she was just a child bride all those years ago. 

"Where is Vaera?" Alicent pondered. Aegon shrugged. "The king informed me that Ser Criston was returning to Vaera's service." she added. "I know how fond she was of her last guard." Aegon locked eyes with her. "I know Ser Cristons... fondness with her as well." Aegon tried to remain calm. He was nothing like Tyon, he was kind and he cared about Vaera. She wouldnt stray. "Just food for thought." Alicent added as she left him to ponder her words. 

Aegon didnt want to say it got to him but it did. He had to find her. When he heard laughter coming from their chambers, no Criston at the door he feared the worst he pushed open the door. He was ready to be furious, ready to fight Criston, ready to kill him. But what he saw took him aback. 

"Thats wonderful, you are so smart." Vaera coed kissing Aemonds cheek. He leaned back into her as she held him a willing hostage in her lap. "And this one?" Aemond translated the old Valyrian history book with her to common tongue. "Wonderful, wonderful!" Vaera agreed as she made a note to the side.  "Haezel do you remember this word? Kara?" Haezel ran a finger over the word. 

"Kara, kara, kara." She repeated. Aemond gave her a thumbs up. "Good! No, no. Great!" Haezel recalled. 

"Very good." Vaera agreed. 

"Do you think blue?" Helaena questioned holding up her drawing. "Right here?"

"Darker." Aemma requested. "Darker blue."

"Oh I think that will be lovely." Vaera agreed. 

"Egg!" Vizzy declared. Vaera's head snapped around. 

"Aegon," Vaera coed, Aemond leaned back into Vaera, smirking from her arms. 

"What's going on?" Aegon questioned. 

"We are studying." Vaera remarked. "I know you were supposed to be training with Criston though." 

"Was I?" Aegon countered.

"I thought he said something about training you for the match..." Vaera offered. 

"Oh... shit." Vaera saw the recollection set in. "Mother had my head upside down." Aegon remarked. 

"She seems to do that." Vaera agreed. 

"So Criston is your official guard again." Aegon added trying to sound nonchalant about it as he got closer. 

"Yes," Vaera agreed. "I have known him for ages and well I trust him."

"You have me." Aegon reminded her and she saw the doubt and insecurity cover his face. Vaera got up moving to him. 

"I do have you." Vaera agreed. "And I'm so glad I do my wonderful, handsome husband." Vaera wrapped her arms around his neck but her face contorted as his hands wrapped around her hips. "Since when are you taller than me?" Vaera questioned. Aegon chuckled closing the space between them. "This is serious you know how long it took me to grow and you are already taller than me." Vaera informed him. Aemma giggled out. 

"Boys are supposed to be taller." Aemma told her. 

"Not all boys." Haezel corrected nodding to Vizzy. 

"Well he's a baby. Aemond is taller than you." Aemma told Haezel. 

"He's older than me." haezel corrected. 

"So is Aegon older than mama now?" Aemma questioned suddenly very confused. 

"I can crouch." Aegon offered kissing her again. 

"This is for the best." Vaera offered. "I can't reach the top shelf and I dont know what Harwin put up there ages ago." Vaera informed him honestly. He was just barely taller then her but considering little Vaera took forever to grow it was annoying. She wondered if her children would sprout up tall like Harwin. Aemma seemed to have Vaera's little genes, still a little spit of thing. 

"You didnt think to jump on the counter?" Aemond countered. Vaera stared back at him. 

"Thats very dangerous and you shouldnt do that." Vaera corrected. "But excuse me, I need to jump on a counter." Vaera remarked as she headed to the counter. "Catch me if I fall Aegon." Vaera instructed. He reached up hands grazing the back of her legs as she got up. 

"I got you. I wont let you fall." Aegon assured. Vaera pulled open the cabinet and saw shirts, clothes, Harwin's clothes. He had put them there because no one else could reach or would think to look that high because Vaera wouldnt put anything in there. Vaera pulled a shirt out bringing it to her face and it still faintly smelt like Harwin. 

"Mama?" Aemma questioned. Vaera got dizzy, swayed slightly, a sob in her chest, could she ever truly move on? Was she destined to never fully love someone again? 

"Catch her Aegon, catch her!" Aemma demanded as Vaera's head got light and she tipped back.