16. Haunted By His Memory

''The Hand, Your Grace.''

''Say your peace.'' Alicent muttered

''Now, what peace is that?'' Otto questioned

'I've conducted myself in a manner... unbefitting my station. Or any other. I lost composure... assaulted the Princess. Already the word is spreading, the gossip speculating that I've gone mad.' Alicent remarked through a sob.

''All true.'' Otto agreed

''I disgraced myself. And ensured my husband's favor will forever rest on her.'' Alicent said with a sneer.

''And yet... I've never seen that side of you, my daughter. I even doubted its existence.''

''It was an ugly thing. I regret it.''

''We play an ugly game. And now, for the first time, I see that you have the determination to win it.''

''Rhaenyra... fucking Vaera..'' Alicent began through clenched jaw.

''You see her for what she is.'' Otto told her. "You have always seen Vaera for what she is."

''What the King's stubbornness has wrought. What will he say to me?'' Alicent said miserably.

''He'll forgive you. What else can he do? Now go to him, be penitent, plead the injury to your son. Keep a grip on your passions. And I promise you, in time, you and I together will prevail.'' Even otto knew that if she attacked Vaera Viserys would have her head but Rhaenyra, she could sway him back.

''What that rogue Aemond has done in winning Vhagar to our side.''

''The boy was right. It's worth a thousand times the price he paid.'' Otto agreed.

+

''Vaera...'' Criston said running up to her.

"I need to check on my sister and the children. All of them Criston." Vaera told him as she continued to walk her hands running over her stomach.

"Vaera... I just wanted to make sure you were okay."

"I will be. One day." Vaera offered as she headed down the hall.

+

''Mm." Rhaenyra winced out as the maester sewed her up.

''You will scar, but the wound will heal. Valyrian steel cuts clean.'' Maester kelvyn informed her.

''Gods. Is everyone all right?'' Laenor said entering the room, he had been in the waters since his sisters send off, he missed all the fun.

''A broken nose is the worst." Maester Kelvyn remarked.

'' Thank you, maester. Leave us.'' Rhaenyra requested ''You as well. You've already found enough trouble today.'' Rhaenyra told her boys. "Go find your aunt Vee." Rhaenyra instructed.

''Yes, Mother." Luke agreed as him and jace left.

''I should've been there.'' Laenor remarked softly.

''Those should be our house words.'' Rhaenyra teased

''I have fought dreadful enemies, but I could not defend my dear sister far from home and in agony. I could not defend you.''

''Sit down. Aemond called our sons bastards.'' Rhaenyra informed him and Laenor sighed as he sat.

''I have failed you, Rhaenyra. Our marriage... I tried. Our boys... I do love them.'' Laenor told him knowing the truth behind the words.

''I know.'' Rhaenyra assured

''Deeply. But I have not, mayhaps... loved them enough.''

''I had hoped to bear your children. The few times we lay together. Things might've been different.'' Rhaenyra admitted