𝟓𝟎. 𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐢𝐚

Alessandra walks up to the Jeep that Edward picked her up with and leans on it, touching the soulmate necklace delicately

Alessandra walks up to the Jeep that Edward picked her up with and leans on it, touching the soulmate necklace delicately. The brunette closes her eyes, trying to push the fear of any Cullen or wolf ending up hurt in the battle against the newborns.

-Jasper. - The girl calls when seeing the mentioned one walk past her. - Can't I do anything else?

-Your presence. Your scent will distract the newborns. - The brunette nods with a grimace. - Their hunting instincts will overwhelm and drive them mad.

Alessandra makes a mental note.

-Not to be pushy or anything but... how do you know so much about this? - Jasper turns to the girl with half a smile.

-I didn't have the same upbringing as my foster siblings. - The guy uncovers his arms, Alli noticing biting marks all over them.

She gets closer and touhes each mark carefully, remembering hers.

-They're like mine. - She whispers, making him smile lightly.

-Battle scars. My training at the confederate army was useless against the newborns. Still, I never lost one battle. - He assures. The human, without helping it, smiles proudly. They both start walking alongside each other.

-It happened during the Civil War? - She exclaims, intrigued. Inserting her hands in her pockets.

-I was the youngest mayor in the cavalry. All without seeing a single battle. - He smiles, looking at the forest.

-And then?

-I met a ceratin immortal. Maria. - Jasper recalls with grudge, making the girl frown in confusion. - I was returning after evacuating a bunch of women and children. Then I saw them and immediately offered to help.

The human keeps quiet, imagining Jasper in that scenario.

-She was creating an army?

-They were very common in the South. There were constant and violent battles for territory. Maria won them all. - He explains, remembering every battle. - She was smart, careful, and she had me. I was her second in command. My ability to control emotions served her well. She trained her newborns. It was a constant occupation, for she never let them live more than a year. Disposing them was my job.

Alessandra turns to him, realizing there's a feeling of guilt behind those words. Jasper had killed so many people before Alice or the Cullens appeared in his life.

-I could feel everything they felt. I thought what Maria and I had was love. But she was using me, I was just he puppet and she pulled the strings. I didn't know there was another way... until I found Alice. - He smiles, his eyes sparkling. Making the girl feel moved. - She saw me coming, of course.