Chapter Sixty-Two

Snow was disrupted from the ground as the flapping wings of Cannibal blew about a powerful gust, lifting the white particles into the air. The jet black dragon landed on the cold ground with a thud, shaking the stone foundations of Winterfells walls.

Tide Breaker let out a happy chirp as he made his way over and greeted his rider and Cannibal. Elia smiled at her white dragon, "I missed you too." She said before looking over at Phoenix, who was also looking her way, but didn't quite come over and greet her. "Its good to see you, my pretty girl."

The Queen rubbed her gloved hands together in an attempt to warm them up. The atmosphere was even colder than the last few times she'd visited, and the gloves were struggling to fight back the nipping chill of a glacial breeze.

The Winterfell guards stood firm at either side of the entrance as Elia approached. "I wish to see Cregan Stark, my husband is already inside." She said as she stopped in front of them, gesturing behind her toward Vhagar who was interacting with Tide Breaker.

The guards looked toward Vhagar and then at each other before nodding and turning to go inside Winterfell. They didn't need to say anything for Elia to know that they had allowed her entry into the walls, though, she wondered if it was really a choice at all. What would she have done if they'd refused her?

Elia tucked her hands behind her back as she followed behind the two guards. She received many sour looks from the people again, just as she had her last visit. Clearly the north still were not fond of her.

One of the guards held open the door of the main hall, allowing Elia to slip past and step inside. As the Queen did so, she was greeted by the familiar smell of burning wood and venison stew.

Aemond got up from his chair as soon as he saw his wife enter the room, a relieved expression on his face. He had been worried sick about her ever since she flew off to Rooks Rest, but it seemed there was no need for concern, the Sapphire Queen looked completely unharmed. Aemond was glad she had that jet black beast at her side.

"Husband, my Lord." Elia greeted as she looked toward the two men who had stood from their seat at the table to greet her.

"Are you alright?" Aemond asked as Elia made her way over to his side.

She nodded, "I'm fine."

"Aemond tells me you fought alongside Princess Rhaenys to save Rooks Rest." Cregan said as she lowered himself back into his chair.

Elia gave another nod, "I did."

"A selfless thing to do, fighting alongside someone who isn't fighting for your own cause.." Cregan said, looking at Elia as if searching her expression to find the true motive.

Elia took a seat in the chair next to Aemond and rested her hands on her lap before replying. "My brother requested for my assistance. We may not be fighting for the same cause, but they're still my family, and if I am able to save their lives I will gladly do so." She answered.

Cregan then cocked his head to the side with a frown. "Forgive me your grace.. but, what of the hundred or so men that were put to the torch at the hands of your own dragon? And Lord Staunton's beheading?" He questioned.

Elia was rather taken by surprise at Cregan's tone. He had always spoken with such courtesy and respect toward Elia and always treaded lightly in her presence. Though now, he appeared to be disagreeing with her for once.

Aemond also seemed surprised, indicating that this was the first he'd heard of the news regarding the execution of those at Rooks Rest.

Elia straightened up in her seat and looked Cregan dead in his soft brown eyes. "I offered them a choice. Bend the knee and join me, or refuse, and die." She said, her tone and expression showing no sign of emotion. "They spat at my feet and called me usurper."