Chapter Twenty-Two

Elia held tightly on the reins as her horse hopped and yipped, eager to get going. The other competitors looked at her, being the only woman in the hunting tournament. She threw them all glares, including Theodore Baratheon, who was smirking at her from down the line. Every competitor was mounted on their horses and lined up at the starting line, waiting for the commentator to blow the horn so they may begin the hunt.

"Ladies and Lords, Commoners and Nobles, the hour is ripe for the hunt to begin. The competitors will have only four hours to hunt, catch and kill their prey before delivering it back here. Whomever can present the biggest and most magnificent game will be awarded the victors title" The commentator spoke from atop his wooden tower.

"I'll see you at the finish line" Theodore called to Elia.

She only rolled her eyes in response, keeping them trained forward, looking between the ears of her horse, ready to gallop off as soon as the horn sounds.

"And now, without further ado, let us begin!" The commentator spoke out before stepping over to the large horn and pressing his lips against it, creating a powerful booming blow.

With the horn blown, the competitors all raced off, with Theodore Baratheon taking the lead. Elia raced her horse forward into the forest, veering off from everyone else. She knew there would be many going after the same white stag as her, but she was determined to get it first.

Elia had taken a different path from the others and had now found herself alone with only her horse, amongst the thick covering of trees. She slid from the saddle and crouched down to scrape her fingers against the dirt that had been sunken by the foot print of what she assumed was the stag she was tracking. She felt the density of the print, a frown on her face as she judged how long ago the stags footprint had been made. Elia thought for a moment, looking at the dried dirt against her fingertips before determining that the Stag had made the footprint a few hours earlier.

The Velaryon Princess stood up straight again and dusted off her dress. She was just about to climb back into her saddle when she heard the thundering of horse hooves coming towards her direction. She narrowed her eyes to get a better look at the culprit of the sound, she fixed her sight on a tall black horse cantering her way, with the Ser Theodore Baratheon on its back.

Elia let out an annoyed groan, she had hoped she wouldn't have to deal with him during the hunt.

Theodore pulled his horse to a stop in front of Elia, a smirk on his face, "Hello Princess" he greeted.

"You just don't give up do you?" Elia asked as she placed her hands on her hips.

"Us Baratheons aren't quitters I'm afraid" He replied with a chuckle before glancing past Elia at the foot print engraved in the dirt, "What do you have there?".

"Nothing that concerns you Ser Baratheon" Elia shot back pointedly.

"I hate to break it you, but that white stag is mine for the taking, perhaps you could go after a doe instead?" He said, still holding his cocky smirk.

Elia glared at him, "Perhaps you could go after a pig, it'd suit you" she scowled as she swiftly pulled herself back onto her chestnut stallions back.

"You're in quite a feisty mood today Princess, and as much as I enjoy this side of you, I must be on my way after that stag, after all, it is my families sigil, it only makes sense a Baratheon such as myself should take it down" Theodore said as he kicked his horse to begin a walk.

Elia moved her horse in front of Theodore's, her eyes trained in a sharp glare towards the Baratheon boy, "I couldn't care less what your family sigil is, that stag is mine for the kill, get in my way and perhaps I might just 'accidentally' shoot the wrong creature" she spat threateningly before clicking her tongue for her horse to go, not giving Theodore a chance to speak further.

Elia kept her eyes glanced between the land in front of her and the ground below that had the foot prints of the stag, leading her in the direction it had gone. After a half hour of following the stags tracks, she pulled her horse to a stop and jumped onto the ground to inspect how fresh the foot prints were now.

She squinted her eyes as she looked over the depth of the print and the dryness of the dirt, judging that she was getting close to her prey. She wished Cannibal or Tide Breaker were here, she would have made quick work of the hunt tournament.

The cold breeze swept across Elia's face, sending a chill down her spine, she wasn't wearing a warm enough dress for this weather and she internally scolded herself for not changing into a more suitable outfit.

Elia stood herself up from her crouch again and climbed back into the saddle before kicking her horse onwards to continue following the tracks. The foot prints went on for a while longer before they eventually led to a clearing out of the dense forest, a powerful field of rocks, hills and lake lay in front of her, and she knew by the landscape, she would definitely find the white stag here.

Elia dismounted her horse and untied the bow from the saddle, slinging it over her shoulder before grabbing the quiver of arrows and pulling that over her other shoulder. She then pulled her spear from the other side of the saddle before tying her horse to a tree while she would go on ahead. The stag would most definitely hear her coming if she rode on with her horse and knew the best course of action was to leave her horse back.

Elia crouched down through the lush long green grass, hiding her from being spotted by the white stag, if she managed to come across it without her knowledge.

As Elia was silently creeping through the long grass she heard a twig snap to her left. She quickly looked over in the direction and could see blonde hair floating through the green grass, presumably tracking the stag just as she was, though none of them had found it yet.

Elia noticed in the corner of her eye, there was something tearing through the long grass towards the blonde haired boy. She squinted to get a better look at what was nearing closer to the boy at such quick speeds, that's when she noticed the dark brown fur and white tusks of a boar.

Instinctively, Elia reached over her shoulder and grabbed an arrow from the quiver before pulling it against the bow as she aimed towards the boar that was charging down the blonde haired boy, whom still hadn't notice the danger he was in.

Letting out a quick breathe, Elia released the arrow and allowed it to rip across the air before planting itself in the boars shoulder, causing the animal to change its course away from the blonde haired boy, who had now noticed the boar when he heard it squeal out in pain.

Although it had been shot, the Boar soon turned itself back towards the blonde boy and resumed its charge towards him.

Elia bounded towards the boy as she noticed he was frozen in fear. She slung her bow back on her shoulder before pulling her spear into her hands. Just as the Boar was about to pummel through the boy, Elia pushed him aside and stabbed her spear point into the Boars neck.

Blood splattered all over the Princess, staining her silver hair and skin, but she wasn't worried, the Boar had been killed, and she was quite proud of herself.

"You saved my life" The blonde haired boy spoke in a shaken up voice, his face pale as a ghost.

Elia nodded, "You're welcome, Ser..?"

"Lannister, Willem Lannister" The boy replied, giving the Princess a respectful bow.

"You're welcome Ser Lannister" She said with a chuckle.

Willem frowned, "You're covered in filth" he said.

Elia waved it off, "It's quite alright, now, if you wouldn't mind standing down, that stags mine, you're welcome to keep him though" she said as she pulled her spear from the Boars neck and pointed for Willem to take it back to the finish line as his catch.

"Of course Princess, thank you again" Willem nodded compliantly before scooping the boar onto his shoulders.

Elia gave the Ser Lannister a parting wave before disappearing into the thick brush of grass again to continue tracking the white stag.