Chapter Sixty-One

A day had passed and Elia and Aemond were on the move again, though this time, they were separating briefly. Jacaerys had finally called upon Elia, requesting that she aid Rhaenys in saving Rooks Rest from the Greens siege.

Aemond was going off to Winterfell to see if he might be able to convince Cregan Stark to turn his cloak and support Elia's cause. This was to be a difficult task and the Targaryen, Velaryon born duo were not entirely confident Cregan would abandon honour for the sake of friendship. Even with this doubtfulness in mind, Elia insisted Aemond go ahead on it anyway, seeing as having Winterfell and the Starks in their corner would strengthen her claim, even if just slightly.

Elia wasn't sure what to expect on her way to Rooks Rest, Jacaerys hadn't given much detail, only that Princess Rhaenys had been absent for ten days without any assistance. At first Elia scoffed at the idea, finding it absurd that her mother hadn't sent anyone with Rhaenys which has now lead to Elia cleaning up the mess.

Elia had sent Tide Breaker and Phoenix with Aemond to the North, confident that only Cannibal would be required for whatever she'd be facing, and because she did not wish to risk the life of the dragons, even though Phoenix was rivalling Meleys size, and Tide Breaker Syrax's size. Elia knew for a fact that Cannibal was almost completely unstoppable, there was only two dragons that stood against him, which were Vhagar, who was of no threat, and Vermithor, whom Elia hadn't even thought about since the altercation at the Dragonmont.

The jet black dragon soared through the sky, the smell of smoke inching up and reaching the pairs noses, indicating they were close to their destination. The clouds were heavy on this day, making it difficult for Elia to maintain visibility ahead of her. Though it was lucky her dragon was able to manage just fine through the thick clouds, and soon dawned upon Rooks Rest, which appeared as nothing more than fire, blood and smoke.

Cannibal circled around the scorched remains of Rooks Rest until finally his rider spotted the gleaming Scarlet scales of Meleys; The Red Queen, and on her back, dressed in steel and copper armour that flashed in the sunlight rode Rhaenys Targaryen; The Queen Who Never Was. The two swept and pummelled through the skies as they set the remainders of Ser Criston's archers alight.

Elia became confused for a moment, as she saw no need for her assistance. Even with the scorpions that had once fell Meraxes in Dorne cranked upwards, the Red Queen seemed to be handling the battle just fine. There were no wounds present on Meleys scales, indicating she hadn't taken any serious damage. Though as fast as Elia's confusion came, it disappeared even quicker, as the booming sounds of three pairs of wings descended from the sky above.

Both Elia and Rhaenys looked toward the direction, and not even a heartbeat later three winged shapes appeared; The king astride his golden Sunfyre and two unfamiliar riders upon Vermithor the bronze fury and the She-Dragon Silverwing, whom Elia had previously attempted to claim.

It appeared that the greens had planned this, that they were in fact counting on Rhaenys being present for this ambush. The trap had been sprung and the Princess had come snatching at the bait. Now the teeth closed around her.

Elia looked toward Princess Rhaenys and her dragon Meleys as the two opposing dragons dove in her direction. The Sapphire Queen expected Rhaenys to turn her dragon and flee, for Meleys had gained the title as 'The swiftest dragon in the world' and could have easily out flew both Sunfyre, Silverwing and Vermithor. Though what Elia's eyes witnessed was completely the opposite.

Princess Rhaenys made no attempt to flee. With a glad cry and a crack of her whip, she turned Meleys toward the foe. Meleys was at odds here, with both Vermithor and Silverwing posing proper threats against her. As the four dragons met violently amidst the smoke, a thousand feet above the field of battle, Elia soon turned her dragon to aid her grandmother and the scarlet dragon.