Chapter Fourty-Four

A week had passed since the wedding and Elia was slowly creeping her way down the Dragonpit stairs that led into the underground stables. The Princess held a torch in her free hand as she made her way through the darkness, finding the situation all too familiar from the time she had claimed the Cannibal.

Alicent had made the announcement at the wedding that Elia would sit the Iron Throne, and though most people seemed pleased with the idea, there was still a handful who were against it, including Willem Lannisters older brother Jason Lannister, claiming a woman doesn't have the strength and drive to rule like a man does.

In an attempt to prove herself even more than she already has, Elia was going to try claim another dragon. The dragon she was after was a dragon born from the same clutch of eggs as Meleys was. The dragons name was Phoenix, a large red dragon, only slightly smaller than Meleys, though they looked very similar, the only difference being that The Red Queen had copper horns and spikes, whereas Phoenix had pure white ones.

Elia made her way past Dreamfyres stable, and then past Sunfyre's before coming to a stop in front of the last stable at the end of the pitch black underground pit.

A vicious bellow echoed from the darkness of the stall that had the name "Phoenix" hammered to the stone wall.

The Princess took a breathe before stepping closer to the stable, as she did so, the shape of jaws illuminated the darkness, showing the dragons fire heating in its throat as it took three steps towards Elia.

"Lykirī Phoenix, I come as friend, as claimant to you, so you may fly free again." Elia spoke in High Valyrian to the massive red dragon that had revealed its crimson head from the darkness.

The dragon seemed unsure at first, and kept her teeth bared in warning of the silver haired Princess that stood without fear in front of her.

Elia knew Phoenix hadn't left the Dragonpit for years, as she didn't have a rider to command her and had to stay bound to the ground with chains so she wouldn't fly away. However, if Phoenix could come to understand that Elia meant to allow her free flight again, then perhaps the red dragon would accept the Princess.

Elia took cautious steps around Phoenix's left side so she could make her way to one side of the chain around her neck.

The dragon let out a low grunt as Elia got to close to her than she was comfortable with. The Princess lifted her hands in a surrendering gesture, showing Phoenix she meant no harm to her. After a moment of standing still to ensure Phoenix wouldn't snap at her, Elia began inching closer to the chain again.

The red dragon watched the girl carefully, ready to attack any moment if the Princess made one wrong move.

"Lykirī Phoenix, Lykirī." Elia repeated as she placed her hands on the metal collar around the dragons neck.

Phoenix hissed as she felt light pressure placed on her neck from Elia's hands. "I will not harm you, I give you my word." Elia assured as she gently moved her hands and unscrewed the metal bolt that was holding the collar in place.

The collar came loose from the red dragons neck and dropped to the floor, creating a loud clang sound as it connected with the stone tiles.

Phoenix shook her neck as she felt the collar bounding her to the stable was gone. The crimson dragon turned its spiked neck to face Elia, her teeth bared as she assessed the silver haired girl properly.

Elia held her hand out to the dragon, "Dohaerās Phoenix, Serve me, so you may soar the open skies as you once did." She spoke firmly, her purple eyes holding powerful eye contact with Phoenix's bright yellow ones.