Chapter Sixty

King Aegon was growing more hateful by each day passing. He desired to avenge the murder of his heir by Blood and Cheese by means of an attack on Dragonstone, descending on the island citadel on dragonback to seize or slay his niece. It took all of the green council to dissuade him. Ser Criston Cole urged a different course. The sapphire Queen had made use of stealth and treachery to kill Prince Jaehaerys.

Cole spoke "We will pay the Queen back in her own bloody coin," he told the king.

The instrument Cole chose for the king's vengeance was the Ser Arryk Cargyll, the man whom had lost his finger at the hands of Elia Velaryon. Aegon wished to have Ser Arryk hunt down and kill someone close to Elia; that person would later be decided as Ser Willem Lannister.

The cold morning air nipped at Elia's skin, causing her to let out a soft groan as she huddled closer to Cannibal, searching for the warmth of his scales.

Aemond observed his wife carefully as she wriggled in her sleep. It seemed the only time she could ever find true peace was when her eyes were closed, and Aemond hated that he couldn't give her the comfort she so desperately needed.

The powerful gusts of air became prominent overhead, before a heavy thump hit the ground. Phoenix had returned from hunting, presenting two large stags in her talons. The red she-dragon dropped one down in front of Aemond before taking the other so she may feast upon it.

Vhagar lifted her head to look at the dead stag in front of her rider. The Queen of dragons let out a soft grunt in his direction, becoming hungry at the sight of the dead deer.

Aemond glanced over at his dragon and chuckled. "Go find your own food you big brute." He spoke in high Valyrian.

Vhagar stood herself up and let out an obnoxious grunt toward Aemond before spreading her wings and lifting herself into the air to find her own breakfast.

Vhagar's departure had awoken Elia, causing her to shift in her position before sitting herself up to look at Aemond.

"Morning." He said monotonously.

Elia stared at him in silence a moment, deciding on whether she felt like being friendly today, though after a minute she sighed. She knew it best not to push him away any longer, after all, he was the only person who'd stuck beside her.

"Morning." She replied finally as she moved from between Cannibal's curled neck and over to the campfire, to sit opposite Aemond.

The one eyed king consort smiled to himself as he began skinning the stag. Having Elia finally reply in a somewhat friendly way meant they were making progress, and perhaps they could return to being proper husband and wife in time.

Elia watched quietly as Aemond used his dagger to remove the pelt from the stag. He wasn't all that great at it, but Elia had been filled with too much hatred toward him to ever try correct him. Though of course today was different, and she was willing to make progress with him.

"Let me, you're doing it wrong." She said as she shuffled over to sit beside Aemond.

The silver haired king consort handed her the dagger, allowing her to take control of the skinning. Elia then began removing the pelt exactly how Daemon had taught her, and at the same time she instructed Aemond on the technique, so he may do it himself from now on.

As Elia was busy teaching Aemond her technique, Grey Ghost let out a soft chirp toward Phoenix, causing the pair to lift their head to look at the dragons. The Grey dragon was crouching toward the blood queen in hopes he might be able to share some of her food, but the red she-dragon only hissed as she tucked her stag under her wing.