Chapter Thirty-Three

Elia shuffled slightly in Aemond's arms, moving closer against his chest in an attempt to get some sort of warmth. She was in such a state of near unconsciousness that she wasn't even aware who's arms she was in, but she didn't care, she was glad to be out of that frozen water. The silver haired Princess was beginning to tremble more intensely with every second that passed by.

"Just a little bit further Princess, stay awake for me" Aemond spoke softly as he quickened his pace to get her inside as soon as he could.

He was practically jogging by the time he came through the Winterfell gates, where Rhaenyra and Daemon had run to meet him, horror on Elia's mothers face.

"Elia! Dear gods!" Rhaenyra gasped as she went to go to her daughter, but Aemond pushed past her, not wanting to waste a moment that could be used to warm her up.

All eyes were glued on Aemond as he carried Elia through the crowds of people, all gasping when they saw the Princesses condition.

Aemond didn't give a shit that everyone was looking at the two of them, his priority was getting her inside, and that's just what he did. He pushed the door open with a roughness before quickly setting Elia down on the floor right next to the roasting fire.

The water was slowly spilling out from Elia's clothes, her body continuing to shiver against the ice cold fabric clung to her skin.

Unless he got those clothes off of her, she wouldn't warm up any time soon, and so hesitantly he crouched down beside the Princess and began undressing her. He started with her long fur coat that had become ridiculously heavy from all the water it had absorbed. He rested a hand underneath her back to slightly lift her off the floor so he could pull the coat off of her shoulders and throw it aside.

Elia's slow breathes were cold against Aemond cheek as he leaned further down to try get her dress off, but he couldn't do it, not while she was barely conscious to be aware of the situation, he knew it wasn't right.

Though thankfully, the door burst open, revealing Rhaenyra and Alicent, with Jace, Luke, and Aegon stood behind them, peering in to get a look at Elia, worried expressions corrupting every one of their faces.

"By the gods, what happened?!" Alicent cried as she rushed past Rhaenyra and kneeled down beside her son, who held Elia in his arm.

"She fell in the frozen lake, she needs to get out of these clothes or she's never going to get warm" Aemond spoke, loudly enough only for his mother to hear.

"Is Elia alright?" Aegon asked as he peered over Rhaenyra's shoulder from the doorway.

"She'll be just fine, but you all need to leave, Rhaenyra and I will deal with Elia" Alicent replied as she gestured hastily for Rhaenyra to come to her side.

"I'll get her some blankets" Rhaenyra said as she rushed over to the bed and began tearing off the blankets.

Alicent cupped her sons cheek with one hand, a soft smile on her face, "You've made me very proud today my son" she said before leaning forward and placing a kiss on Aemond's forward.

Aemond gave his mother a nod before hesitantly passing Elia gently into Alicent's arms and then standing back up, "Look after her" he said before making his way towards the door, where he glared at Jace, Luke and Aegon in a gesture to leave so Rhaenyra and Alicent may tend to the Princess.

....

A few hours had passed since Aemond left Elia to Alicent and Rhaenyra, and he couldn't stop pacing back and fourth Winterfell, stressed for the Princess. Numerous people had come up to Aemond while he paced, inquiring if he was alright, or if he perhaps wanted to go inside for some stew. Some girls even approached Aemond in an attempt to seduce him, but for every person that approached him, he sent away with a rude glare. He refused to think about anything else but Elia, and as soon as his mother stepped out of her borrowed chambers, he would rush in to check on her. He couldn't care less whether anyone began suspecting his feelings for the Princess, that didn't matter to him anymore.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, Alicent popped her head out of the doors and waved for Aemond to come in. He didn't waste a moment as he made his way over to the chambers, speed in his steps as he went.

"How is she?" He asked as he came into the room.

Elia was sitting in front of the fire, a blanket wrapped around her shoulders and dressed in new clothing. The Princess turned to look when she heard Aemond's voice, a surprised expression on her face when she saw it was actually him.

Rhaenyra found it strange how Aemond seemed so concerned for her daughter, when, as far as she was aware, they hated each other.

Alicent grabbed Rhaenyra's arm with a soft smile, "Let's leave them too it, I think her rescuer deserves some time with her" Alicent said as she began leading Rhaenyra out of the chambers, closing the door behind them.

"Aemond? What are you doing here?" Elia asked with a frown.

"Checking on you, how dull can you be?" He replied as he hasted towards her.

"So I nearly die and you're insulting me again" She chuckled in a weak voice.

Aemond crouched down in front of her, "You're a fucking idiot, I could have lost you" he said as he reached out and grabbed Elia's hands in his own, causing the blanket on her shoulders to slip from her shoulders slightly.

"Well I'm sorry I fell through the ice and almost died, I'll make sure not to do it again" Elia apologised sarcastically.

Aemond chuckled breathily, how he was relieved she was back to her normal self. He shifted over so he was sitting beside her and hesitantly, he wrapped his arms over her shoulders, so they rested comfortingly on her chest.

Elia flinched at first as she became encased in Aemond's arms, but she soon adjusted to the embrace and leaned back, so she lay against his chest.

Aemond rested his chin on the top of Elia's head, watching the fire crackle in front of them.

"So I assume we aren't giving up on this thing going on between us" She chuckled as she let out a soft exhale, enjoying the comfort of being against Aemond's chest, feeling safe and protected in his arms, like nothing could ever harm her as long as he was there.

Aemond hummed, "I suppose we aren't" he replied with a slight chuckle.

Elia shuffled closer into his chest, "Good." Was all she said, but it gave Aemond enough closure, finally, she was accepting her feelings for him, just as he had accepted his for her.

It all came quickly as they were both startled as the door creaked open again and the gasp's of Rhaenyra and Alicent met their ears.

Shit.