Chapter Fourty-Six

"You look beautiful." Alicent said as she rested her chin on Elia's shoulder, standing behind her as she looked at the soon to be Queen in the mirror.

Elia smiled as she gazed over the most glorious black and blue dress Alicent had specially designed for her. The entire of the dress was sapphire blue, with wide neck that revealed her pale shoulders. She wore a velvet black corset around her waist and an assortment of jewels weaved and pinned through her long silver plaited hair.

"Do you think I'll be a good ruler your grace? Truly?" Elia asked as she kept her eyes gazed in the mirror at her reflection.

Alicent's smile softened as she moved her chin off of Elia's shoulder and stepped around to face her properly. "Of course you will, and you'll have all of us here if you ever get stuck." She said assuringly.

Elia frowned, "You've always been kind to me your grace, despite the past feuds between my family and yours. For the longest time I've been trying to comprehend why you show me such kindness and generosity, and even after swirling over it for quite a while, I haven't yet figured it out." She said, fiddling her fingers together as she found herself becoming unsure of whether or not she should have mentioned anything.

Alicent's soft brown eyes poured into Elia's as she gazed toward the silver haired girl in front of her. The Queen moved her hands on each of Elia's shoulders, giving them a soft squeeze before parting her lips to speak. "When I look at you, Im reminded of someone I use to care for very deeply in my younger years. Not just the physical similarities the two of you share, but an almost identical personality." Alicent explained, pausing a moment to assess how the Princess was reacting before she would continue.

"The person.. it's my mother isn't it?" Elia asked.

Alicent pulled her eyes away from Elia and cast them downwards. "I love you like you're my own daughter, Princess." She said, ignoring Elia's question to speak on her affection toward the girl.

Elia's cheeks turned a soft red at the Queens words, "I'm glad someone does.." she said, trailing off as she thought back to the way her mother had practically abandoned her.

Alicent swiftly pulled Elia into her arms, embracing the girl as she held a hand on the back of Elia's head, tears begging to surge at her eyes. "Your mother loves you Elia, I know it seems like she doesn't, but she does." Alicent said, her voice becoming shaky as she fought not to cry. The Queen couldn't help but feel like it was her fault that Rhaenyra had turned her back on Elia.

Elia couldn't find any words and instead just stood quietly as the Queen soothed her, assuring her that everything was alright and that what they were doing was the right thing.

....

"People of King's Landing! Today is the saddest of days, for we part with our beloved King, Viserys the peaceful. But it also the most joyous of days, for as his spirit left us, he whispered his final wish, that his first born Granddaughter, Elia should succeed him!" Otto announced to the crowd that filled the Dragonpit. Of course this was no surprise to them as they had already been informed of such on the day of Elia's wedding.

The crowd brought their hands together in applaud as the marching sounds of soldiers made their way into the Dragonpit in perfect lines, leaving a path to be walked through by the Princess.

"Halt! Turn!" The captain of the guards ordered, as so the soldiers followed.

The trumpets began playing and the command of the captain spoke again. "Present! Arms!"

With that command, the soldiers reached their hands to their scabbard in perfect unison and drew their sword fourth, pointing its tip upwards to create a sort of archway. Not a moment later did the long silver hair of Princess Elia step into sight and began her stride down the archway of swords.