Chapter Thirty-Four

"What is this??" Rhaenyra questioned demandingly, piercing her eyes on her daughter that was intimately wrapped in the one eyed Princes arms.

"Mother-" Elia went to explain, but was cut off by the excited squeals and claps of Alicent.

"How wonderful! I wasn't aware you two had become so fond of each other!" The Queen exclaimed, a delighted smile on her face.

Although Alicent seemed to approve of Elia and Aemond, Rhaenyra looked less than pleased as she grimaced. "Surely you cannot be serious Alicent? This is absolutely not acceptable." Rhaenyra stated.

Elia frowned as she quickly stood up to face her mother, with Aemond standing up after her. "Why does it bother you so much mother? I thought you'd be quite glad I've finally found someone that I would be happily have a betrothal with." Elia shot back with a glare towards her mother.

Aemond's heart startled as Elia spoke on a betrothal between the two, he hadn't even thought of such a thing, but now, of course he'd want such.

Alicent clapped again, "What a splendid situation, doesn't that sound like a lovely idea Rhaenyra? To betroth my son and your daughter? How the realm would applaud such an arrangement" she exclaimed, excited for the two young royals.

Rhaenyra still wasn't convinced, "Absolutely not." She rejected the idea.

Alicent frowned, "But why not? Does it not seem to good to be true?" She asked.

Rhaenyra shook her head, "Because I have already betrothed her to Ser Theodore of House Baratheon." She stated, though she was sure her daughter would not take well to this, and she was correct.

"What?!" Elia questioned in exasperation as she went to storm towards her mother in protest, but Aemond placed a hand on her shoulder in a reassuring manner.

"It's already been decided, there will be no arguments." Rhaenyra said with a stern tone.

"You know I have no interest in marrying that pathetic excuse for a stag! You yourself even declined his proposals months earlier, so why have you now changed your mind?!" Elia seethed.

"You've almost reached your 20th nameday, and if you weren't married soon, the realm would have questioned the validity of House Targaryen. I'm sorry, but there will be no changes now, Theodore has already sailed home to inform his father of this." Rhaenyra explained.

Elia was fuming, her temper was beginning to get the better of her and she was on the verge of cussing her mother out in a way no lady should speak, especially to their mother. Aemond could feel the way Elia was at her boiling point and so he grabbed her forearms, turning her around to face him, "It's alright." Was all he said, but with those few words, gave Elia a sort of peace of mind. Aemond wasn't one to say something unless he was certain in his words, she trusted Aemond's judgement in this moment and managed to take a breath to calm herself.

Not wishing to discuss the matter further, Rhaenyra turned and disappeared back out of the room, leaving only Aemond, Alicent and Elia.

Alicent looked sad, "Are you two alright?" She asked gently as she approached the two.

Aemond nodded to his mother, "We're fine, could we have a moment alone?" He asked.

Alicent nodded before quickly turning and leaving the room.

"I'm absolutely not marrying that insufferable pest." Elia stated hastily, her hands balled into fists as she drew her eyes to the floor, not intent on Aemond seeing the fury behind her pupils.

"And you won't, let me handle the situation myself, it'll be quick and clean." He said, pausing for a moment in thought, "But you're going to have to trust me, completely."

Elia frowned, "And what exactly will you do? Something foolish I imagine?" She said.

"It's better if you don't know, saves both of us getting in trouble should anything go wrong" Aemond replied before taking Elia's hands in his own. "Perhaps it's best if we head home today? Winterfell is not the place we should be staying in such a time" he said.

Elia frowned, "We've only been here for a day" she protested, "Must everything be ruined again?"

"Once we're betrothed, I promise I'll bring you back here as many times as you may wish, but for now, start packing your things, I have some things to discuss with my brother" Aemond said.

Elia scoffed, "You two better not be planning something stupid" she said.

Aemond only hummed before leaning down and placing a soft kiss on Elia's cheek before turning and making his way out of the room.

....

Hesitantly, Elia allowed Aemond to help her step onto the ship, she was disappointed to be leaving Winterfell when she had only just arrived.

The snow fell thick that day, a sour energy was in the air, shared between mother and daughter, who were refusing on speaking to one another. Rhaenyra had informed Daemon of the entire ordeal, and he found it rather humorous, he himself, admitted to Rhaenyra that he wasn't blind to the tension shared between Aemond and Elia, and he predicted sooner or later they would find themselves in such a bind.

Aemond had also informed Aegon of the situation, who also found it humours, though he found it relieving to see the two finally becoming intimate with one another after such a long wait. However no one else was aware, such knowledge would only cause strife early in the family and Elia did not wish to deal with that for as long as she could hold it off. She knew her brothers would not support her in this matter, both of them didn't have an ounce of respect or liking for Aemond, nor did he for them, only making the situation more difficult. Elia loved her brothers and valued their opinion over any other so to have them not willing to have them at her side was only making things harder for her.

Aemond had separated with Elia so he might speak with his mother and get her complete opinion on the matter, though both Elia and Aemond were certain she would only but be delighted.

Elia made her way over to the front of the ship where she sat on the way to Winterfell. The dragons bounded across the sky, Tide Breaker was busy racing about with Sunfyre, while Cannibal hovered in place, awaiting the ship to set sail.

"You understand your mother only wishes for your happiness" Daemon said as he appeared from behind Elia and leaned against the front of the ship.

"Then why must I be forced to marry someone I do not love?" Elia replied in an aggravated tone.

"Because that is just the way of things, and your mother had to suffer the same as you did with your father." Aemond said as he watched the falling snow melt against the oceans surface.

"Must we discuss this matter? I've already had an ear full of it from mother, and I'd rather you staying on my fond side, I don't wish to dislike you Daemon." Elia replied, folding her arms against her chest as she spoke.

Daemon chuckled, "Years ago-" he started, "I married a woman of the vale, she was heir to all its lands, it's castle, all of it. Her name was Rhea" he said, pausing to see if Elia would make a comment, and she did.

"I've never heard of her?" Elia replied questioningly.

"That's because she died long before you were born." He said.

Elia frowned as she turned to him, "What happened to her?" She asked with curiosity.

Daemon chuckled again, "Rhea Royce was a fine woman, she would have made an excellent wife, for a husband that actually loved her. I did not, my interests were elsewhere, and so I killed her, bashed her skull in with nothing but a mere rock." He explained, casting his eyes at Elia again to find her reaction.

"You killed her for my mother?" Elia asked.

Daemon nodded, "I did and now that you're aware of the story, make do with it what you will." He said before pushing himself off the front of the ship and walking away, leaving Elia frowning in confusion.

Make do with it what you will? What was he talking about? Was their a secret message hidden behind his story, or perhaps some sort of advice? She wasn't sure.