Chapter 35

It's a quiet Wednesday evening, and I am sitting by myself in the familiar space, which is none other than the SNU library. Studying has always been my coping mechanism, ever since I was little- hence the reason I got into Law school in the first place. It was and is the only thing I can be good at and praised for. 

It's now 7 pm, and I have been studying since 1 pm when all of our lectures finished- it's been so long that I don't even know what I'm studying right now.

I put my headphones back on, and take a deep breath; as I inhale I try not to think of how everything took place yesterday. How dangerous it was. How the fact my life is in danger, even right now. Just think of anything else, I desperately try to tell myself.

But as I inhale the only thing I feel is a wave of anxiety hit me, so I then realize that for yet another time, I failed to not think about it. So as I then proceed to exhale, I try to remind myself that at least in two days from now, this will all be over; Jungkook will be out of my life.

That's good, isn't it?

Being lost in my thoughts as I continue to study, I feel someone tap my shoulder, only to turn my head and face the person I least expected to- it's Hoseok.

"Hoseok!" I exclaim, not being able to control my excitement, and end up winning some glares from some other people studying near me.

"Ari-ah, I'm so glad to see you again." Hoseok giggles as he whispers and gives me a hug.

"I just arrived here with Namjoon, do you want to join us?" he asks me quietly, pointing at where they are.

Namjoon.

Thousand of thoughts start to occupy my mind, but all I do is nod hesitantly as I pick up my stuff so I can join them for yet another study session. Maybe being with people will help me focus more on studying, and less on reliving the trauma from yesterday.

Namjoon waves at me with a smile as soon as he sees me, and there is something so genuine about his smile that just breaks my heart. I can't believe I pushed him away, for someone whose literal father kidnapped me. But it's too late now, he probably thinks very low of me after that party.

However, I try to concentrate on the material I have to finish, as we all start to study for real, and then minutes turn into hours, and before we all know it it's already 9 pm and the library is soon to close for tonight.

We put our stuff back in our bags, and head out of the giant building quietly, as we are all pretty tired at this point. 

Hoseok and Namjoon start to make some small talk about a Calculus class, but I can't really keep up, considering how out of touch I am with advanced math like that.

"I can't believe they put you on a night shift today." I hear Hoseok point out at some point as we make our way to the bus stop.

"I've told you before that we are understaffed." Namjoon sighs subtly, but probably anyone can tell the pain in his voice as he does so.

"Where-where do you work?" I try to enter the conversation awkwardly.

"Oh, it's so lame, you have no idea." Hoseok laughs as Namjoon side-eyes him.

"I work at a bookstore near SNU." Namjoon smiles at me and decides to ignore Hoseok's comment for now.

"As if anyone is going to be buying books at 11 pm." Hoseok laughs again, winning himself another side-eye from Namjoon.

"Our boss is a little weird, but the money is good. We are just sort of understaffed at the moment." Namjoon explains himself.

"He keeps saying 'understaffed', but that's not exactly the case." Hoseok giggles near me quietly, hoping Namjoon won't listen to him, but Namjoon sighs anyways.