Chapter 14: Unanswered Questions

It took a while for the news to get around. The Uchiha Clan had been massacred. Hisako wasn't sure who did it yet. Or why. She found Sasuke, but she still didn't know the whereabouts of Itachi or her aunt. She couldn't stop the worry, the nagging in her heart that told her that she would never see either again. What if Sasuke was the only survivor? Like she was the only survivor of the Glacier Village's destruction? If that were true, then, Sasuke was going to have a lot of healing to do himself.

"Was she hurt?" a familiar male voice asked in the hall outside of the small room Hisako was sitting in.

Lord Hyuga.

"Just a twisted ankle. She'll be fine," one of the medics told him.

"And I heard that she found Sasuke, correct? What's his condition?"

"Sasuke Uchiha is currently unconscious. His condition is more serious, but we don't think he's in any immediate danger,"

"I see, have there been any other survivors found?"

There was a pause, and the medic's voice dropped, "No. Not yet. So far, Sasuke Uchiha and Hisako Uchiha seem to be the only survivors from the massacre,"

Hisako saw Lord Hyuga shake his head by the movement of his shadow on the wall, "what a horrible tragedy, may I see Hisako?"

"Of course,"

There was the sound of feet shuffling over the tile, and the door handle on her room twisted. Right before it opened, another voice spoke up in the hallway.

"I'll join you too. I'm curious if Hisako saw anything that could help us indicate what had transpired in the Uchiha Compound."

It was Lord Hokage. He had arrived as well. Hisako dropped her gaze, preparing herself for the inevitability. He was going to have questions. Hard questions. And she would have to answer them to the best of her ability. But, she was ready this time. She was fortunate. She was never too close with the Uchiha Clan. Even though she shared their blood, that was as far as it went.

"Hisako, I'm glad to see you're unharmed," Lord Hyuga said, greeting her as he and Lord Hokage entered the small room.

"I'm fine," Hisako responded, quickly standing up from the cot she was sitting on.

Her right ankle was wrapped up, but other than that she came out unscathed. She stood at attention as Lord Hokage's eyes examined her, smoke swirling up from his pipe.

"Lord Hokage, I know what you're going to ask me. I didn't see anything. I wish I did. I wish I could be of more use. But, by the time I got to the Uchiha Compound and found Sasuke, he was already unconscious and everyone was dead. I didn't see anyone flee. And," Hisako's voice trailed off, and she dropped her gaze, biting her lip, "honestly, I'm grateful I didn't see the person who was behind the attack. I fear if I did, they probably would have killed me too. They were merciless in the massacre of the Uchiha Clan."

Lord Hokage's expression was contemplative as he stared at Hisako, "I see," he finally said, his gaze distant, "I had a suspicion that would be the case. However, I do have a question. Hisako, how did you know to go to the Uchiha Compound? What compelled you to do so despite the actions they took against you?"

Hisako's gaze raised with that question, and a small blush formed on her cheeks, "Ah, well," she stammered, her eyes darting everywhere but to the two adults standing in the room, "you see, it was a gut feeling. I don't know how to explain it. I just... knew something happened there. It didn't matter what they did. I had to go see it for myself," she finally found Lord Hokage's gaze again, "I'm sorry, I wish I could be of more use. But, something just compelled me to go to the Uchiha Compound, almost against my will. I don't know how else to describe the feeling,"