Chapter 24: Inner Turmoil

Neji stopped in the middle of a clearing. He couldn't believe it. He thought he had caught up with them, he saw them for just a moment, and then, they disappeared. How could they have just vanished like that? He circled the clearing, scanning the area with his Byakugan trying to locate where that man had taken Hisako to. He swore under his breath. Nothing. He couldn't see them anywhere.

He closed his eyes for just a moment, weighing his options. Using the Byakugan did take up quite a bit of chakra. Even though he had a lot of chakra to spare, he didn't want to waste it if he couldn't find Hisako. He had to conserve what chakra he did have to fight when they did find her. He let out a sigh and deactivated his Byakugan the moment Guy Sensei and Lee joined him in the clearing.

Lee seemed to be slightly tired, his breathing was a little heavier and his shoulders were slumped forward. Those two shinobi they fought must have given Lee some difficulty. Guy Sensei on the other hand seemed to have taken the fight well and didn't seem the least bit phased.

"Neji?" Guy Sensei asked, scanning the clearing.

"I thought I had them, but, this is where they vanished," Neji replied calmly.

"Vanished?" Lee repeated, sounding surprised by Neji's choice of words.

"I don't know how else to describe it," Neji replied.

"Hm," Guy Sensei hummed to himself as he dropped his gaze in thought, "I've heard that there are some rocks that can naturally hide chakra networks, I think the rock was called Kuhaku Ishi. I wonder if there are any in this area,"

"Rocks that can hide chakra networks?" Neji repeated, turning his attention back to where he saw the man disappear with Hisako, "I suppose that could make sense. There's a rock formation over there, around the same area where they disappeared,"

"There could be a cave that you just can't detect with your Byakugan," Guy Sensei replied, walking forward. He sighed, "Typically, a rescue mission would be too difficult to assign to Genin right out of the academy, however, I don't believe we have time to go back to the Leaf for reinforcements. We have to rescue Hisako ourselves, you with me?" Guy Sensei asked, looking at his two students.

"Of course we are Guy Sensei!" Lee shouted, raising his hand to the sky, "we'll follow you anywhere!"

"Hisako is our teammate, I'm not leaving her behind," Neji replied, turning his attention to the rock formation, "if these rocks really are blocking my Byakugan though, we're going to have a difficult time getting in and figuring out where Hisako is being kept,"

Guy Sensei walked over to Neji, and rested a firm hand on his shoulder, "We'll get her back, even without the Byakugan,"

Neji didn't seem to react to Guy Sensei's words, or the hand on his shoulder as he stared at the mouth of the cave. Hisako was somewhere in there, with the enemy. Just the thought that the enemy had her had his blood boil with rage. They had grown up together. The Hyuga Clan took her in, and he promised his uncle that he would protect her.

Even if she said she wanted to be the one to do the protecting, all those years ago, it was still painfully obvious that destiny may not be aligned with that desire she has. Neji bared his teeth. No matter how strong Hisako has become over the years, no matter how talented, here they were. Playing right into fate's hands.

Naruto AU: The Untold StoryOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara