Chapter 11: Prejudice

It's been a few weeks and she still wasn't able to master the Fire Ball Jutsu. It was becoming rather frustrating. She has been able to master all sorts of water and ice-style jutsus when her mother trained her in the Glacier Village. But, the abilities of the Uchiha Clan didn't seem to come as naturally to her. Maybe it was the universe telling her that the future wasn't in mastering the jutsus and the abilities of the Uchiha Clan, but she refused to give up.

It was time for her Saturday afternoon training season with her cousins. She was going to master the Fireball Jutsu today! That was what she kept repeating to herself in her head anyways.

"Hello Hisako, before we start training today, I wanted to let you know I did some more research into your past, and who your family is in the Uchiha Clan," Itachi said by way of greeting as Hisako entered the training area.

"Oh? Find anything interesting?" Hisako asked as she stopped under a large oak tree.

"Actually, I did. I think you'll be interested to know, my father, Fugaku isn't your father's brother. Your father was related to my mother, Mikoto,"

Hisako was surprised by this new knowledge. For some reason, she always believed Fugaku was her father's brother. But to hear that her father had a sister, Mikoto, for some reason shocked her. But, as she mulled over the new information, it began to make sense.

"Uh, Itachi?" Hisako asked after a moment of contemplation, "do you think it'll be possible for me to meet your mom one day?"

Itachi gave her a gentle smile, and poked her in the forehead with his finger again, "Of course. I think my mother would love to meet you. I'll see what I can arrange,"

Hisako smiled in gratitude. Even though she was disowned, she still hoped her aunt would want to meet with her. She had so many questions for her about her father, about his childhood. And maybe by meeting her, by asking her questions, she could learn more about herself too. Maybe it'll help her find the strength she needs to master all of these fire-style jutsus.

After another day of attempting to master the Fire Ball Jutsu, and only being able to produce a small amount of fire, she left the training area with a heavy heart. Her gaze dropped as she walked through the bustling village. Her hands were bandaged from the burns on her hands from trying to master the Fire Ball Jutsu. She didn't even realize that she was being followed.

Leaping down from the rooftops of the nearby buildings, she was suddenly under attack. She tried to scream for help, but someone clasped a hand firmly over her mouth muffling her scream. A moment later, she felt the weightless feeling of flying. She wasn't sure how she was able to see so clearly, but everything was clear to her. Three men were responsible for the attack.

She saw their black hair and dark eyes, their dark blue and black uniforms and, she saw on one of their backs, the red and white Uchiha Clan symbol that resembled a fan. Her breath caught in her throat at the realization when they landed in a dark alleyway, finally letting her go. She dropped to the ground with a thud and she was surrounded.

"After Lord Fugaku told you were forbidden to learn our jutsus, here you are, caught red-handed," one of them said.

"You were just practicing your fire-style jutsus! Admit your crime!"

Hisako stood up, her body trembling as a sense of fear washed through her, but despite her fear, she calmed herself, her hands forming fists at her sides as she screamed back at them.

"Yes! I did! I did because I'm an Uchiha too! And I have a right to learn my Uchiha heritage," her voice was stronger, more even than she expected it to be, which she was grateful for.