Chapter 5: Disowned but Not Forsaken

Hisako didn't have time to say goodbye to Gara, but they both knew that she would have to leave in a few days. As the Sand Village grew smaller and smaller, she sent out a silent prayer that one day she could see Gaara again.

They spent an entire day traveling through the hot desert. At one point, the heat became too much for Hisako to bear. The sun seemed to cook her alive and while she was taught how to stay warm in cold conditions, she was never taught how to survive in warm conditions like this. She collapsed to her knees, completely exhausted and all of her energy was completely drained. Without hesitating, Itachi picked Hisako up on his back and gave her a piggyback ride the rest of the way through the desert for which Hisako was extremely grateful.

Once they got out of the desert, Itachi found a babbling brook where Hisako drank as much of the cold mountain water as she could. The forest was a lot cooler than the desert, and she was glad to finally have the blazing hot sun off her. Once she had enough water, she found Itachi sitting against a tree with a rice ball in hand, offering it to her. She walked over to him and sat down beside him, taking the rice ball.

"I know you won't talk right now. I can't imagine what you have just gone through, witnessing your entire village destroyed, but, you don't need to talk right now. Take all the time you need to find your voice again," Itachi told Hisako gently as she ate the rice ball.

Hisako paused and set the rice ball down, her gaze going distant, and tears blurred her vision. 

"Hisako,"

Hisako looked up to the sound of her name, and the moment she did, she found Itachi's finger pressed against her forehead. She went crosseyed and Itachi had a gentle smile on his face, his eyes so warm and caring it made her heart melt.

"Remember, no matter what happens, I will always consider you my family. You are my younger cousin after all,"

She almost did cry with his statement, her heart doing weird flips in her chest. Maybe there was a place she belonged in this world still. Maybe that place was in the Leaf Village, with Itachi at the very least. Maybe he would be the new family that could help her find a home again. Instead of crying, though, she didn't think she had any more tears to cry, she gave Itachi a giant smile.

The moment she was done with her rice ball, they started their journey again. At some points, she would walk on her own, but at others, Itachi would give her a piggyback ride so they could make better time. They stopped enough so that Hisako could see the sights and get water from any river they passed by.

At one of those rivers, however, Hisako had the odd feeling that she was being watched. When she tried to look for who was watching her though, they were elusive and stayed well hidden in the undergrowth of the forest. She heard a branch snap somewhere near her and stood up the moment she was surrounded by a group of bandits.

She bared her teeth. This was the worst timing for this. Itachi had said just a moment ago that he was going to go scout ahead, and now she was surrounded.

They all leered at her, showing broken and rotting teeth as they slowly advanced on her laughing and giggling as she took a small step back, but, there was no use. They had her surrounded. No matter where she turned, they were there. They lunged and she threw herself back, bringing her arms up to her head. When she wasn't met with pain, she slowly opened her eyes and saw Itachi there, protecting her.

He moved so fast she could barely keep up with his movements. He didn't perform any jutsus, she assumed he didn't need to. These men posed no threat to him as he lunged and ducked and attacked like it was some sort of beautiful dance. Hisako sat on the floor in awe as the final bandit fell.