Chapter 17: Confronting Jealousy

That Monday, she didn't join Iruka Sensei's class as she had been for the past few months. Instead, she found herself with Neji in his class. Here she was the youngest, although that didn't matter to her. She was just grateful that she could be by Neji's side. Neji offered a seat beside him and they were both pulling out what scrolls they needed when a girl with two side buns walked over to them and sat down with a humph beside Hisako.

Hisako had no choice but to notice that this girl didn't seem at all pleased with Hisako. Hisako frowned in contemplation. She had no idea what she could have done to this girl. She just arrived at this class after all. But, this girl had a frown on her face and her brown eyes were cold and hard as she shot daggers in Hisako's direction.

Hisako gave her a small smile, "Hello. It's nice to meet you, I'm Hisako," she greeted.

"I usually sit here," the girl responded curtly.

Hisako was taken aback by the girl's cold attitude towards Hisako and stammered for the right words to say. If there were assigned seats, then Neji would have told her.

"These aren't assigned seats, Tenten. Hisako can sit wherever she pleases," Neji replied, looking bored by the whole thing.

Tenten puffed her cheeks out in defiance, "yeah but this is typically my seat! It's been that way since the first day!"

"You don't always have to sit by me," Neji replied.

Tenten scoffed at Hisako, whipping her head to the side as she stood up again, "so, you're the new student that got transferred here from the lower grades huh?" she asked Hisako.

Hisako gave Tenten the sweetest smile she could muster. Hisako knew exactly what type of person Tenten was, the jealous type. It was becoming obvious to Hisako that Tenten had a thing for Neji, and while Neji and Hisako certainly weren't a thing themselves, Hisako wasn't going to bow down to Tenten and give her what she wanted either. Besides, it was obvious Neji wanted Hisako to sit beside him. Otherwise, he wouldn't have offered it to her in the first place.

"Yes. I am," Hisako replied, resting her elbows on the desk in front of her keeping that smile on her face.

"Alright, fine. But, just so you know, you're sitting beside Neji Hyuga," Tenten replied, leaning in closer to Hisako so that their faces were less than an inch away from each other.

Hisako had to bite back a laugh and decided to go for a completely bored and uninterested look as she raised an eyebrow. This was going to be good.

"And Neji Hyuga is the top student in this class. So don't think you could ever be as good as him, newbie,"

Hisako bit the inside of her mouth to keep from laughing so hard she tasted blood. A snicker came out and she turned her gaze towards the desk, closing her eyes tight to keep the laughter at bay.

"What's so funny newbie?" Tenten demanded, standing up to cross her arms over her chest.

"Actually, Tenten," Neji spoke up, he was obviously more composed than Hisako was seeming to be completely unphased by Tenten's actions, "you may be surprised to know that the Hyuga Clan adopted Lady Hisako,"

Hisako was shocked by his use of the word Lady and she looked up, sobering up from her laughter to stare at Neji in disbelief. There had to be a reason why he called her that. Even Tenten seemed stunned by Neji's use of the title of Lady.

"Lady?" Tenten muttered.

"Lady Hisako comes from two esteemed clans. The Uchiha Clan, and the Fuyu Clan. I've had the honor of training with her regularly since her time in the Hyuga Clan, and I can attest to her strength. I can say with certainty, she is stronger than most of the students in this room, including you,"