Chapter 20: Proving Grounds

The rest of the night went by in a blur. This was the first direct attempt to kidnap Hisako. Of course, she and Neji have been followed in the past. But, those enemies were always too stealthy. Not like they wanted to abduct Hisako, more like they wanted to observe her from a distance. She wasn't sure which was worse. Those who tried a frontal attack, or those who watched her from the shadows, assessing her without her even knowing. The prospect of both made her skin crawl.

She was satisfied to find out that the four of them were in questioning with Ibiki right now. She hasn't heard the name Ibiki before, but from what she was told, he was very skilled at getting people to talk. She wasn't sure if she ever wanted to meet Ibiki. The man sounded intimidating, to say the least. But, because Neji and Hisako had nothing to report other than Hisako has a bounty on her head and they wanted to sell her on the black market, they were free to return to the Hyuga Estate rather quickly.

"I think I learned something rather intimidating today," Hisako whispered, her voice quiet as the two of them walked home together.

"That would be?" Neji asked, giving her a sidelong glance.

"That both you and I need to get way stronger. Those men were high ranked Chuunin, maybe even Jonin, and we were barely able to dodge their attacks. Let alone go on the offensive and actually land a blow," Hisako said with a sigh.

"I know, but, I noticed something too. What happened with your crystal?"

Hisako's gaze lifted and her hand went to her crystal letting out a nervous laugh, "O-oh, you saw that. Well," she stammered, her gaze going somewhere other than on him, "I actually have no idea. It was like a voice spoke in my head. She told me to 'wield' her. And when I did, when I took it off and imagined a katana, that was exactly what the crystal turned into. I remember an old legend saying that the founder of the Fuyu Clan created the crystal and sealed her soul inside of it so she could protect and guide her descendants, but, that's all I really remember. I want to meditate with the crystal though, see if I can learn more,"

"I think that's a good idea," Neji replied, holding the door to the Hyuga Estate open for her as they walked inside, "if you can use that crystal as a weapon, it'll be another tool you can use in battle,"

Hisako nodded as Neji walked them both to the first aid room. Miss Mio sat at her normal desk and turned to look at them, "Now what have you two gotten yourselves into this time?" Miss Mio asked, standing up from her chair to come over to the two Genin.

"We were attacked on our way home," Hisako explained as both she and Neji took a seat on the single cot that was in the room.

"Attacked? Who would do that?" Miss Mio asked, examining the cut on the side of Hisako's head. Mio's hand shimmered a light blue as she held it up to the cut, letting her chakra flow into the cut to help aid in the tissue regeneration.

"Some rogue shinobi from the Mist wanted to sell Hisako on the black market for money," Neji explained.

"In our own village? How could the village guards have let them pass?" Miss Mio asked as she placed a bandaid over the small cut on Hisako's neck and went to tend to a laceration on Neji's upper arm.

Hisako hadn't even realized he'd been cut. She felt bad, had she been paying more attention she could have realized that he was hurt. She could have helped him sooner.

"They're interrogating the men as we speak," Neji told Miss Mio as she finished up with his wound, wrapping it up with gauze.

"Well, let me know what comes of that. I'll be interested to hear more. Now that you two are patched up, I'll be turning in for the night. Let me know if you two need anything else," Miss Mio told them, stepping back to gather her paperwork.